Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you've seen some of my other posts, you may be aware that I'm building my first set of scuba gear. I'm trying to build a really nice set that I can add to, but don't need to upgrade (the biggest thing I plan on buying a 2nd of soon is BCD. My first one will be a typical BCD. My 2nd will be a BP&W. Otherwise, I want one main set that I'll be happy with for a long time). This thread is for boots. I plan to have both a wet and dry suit, likely a few wetsuits for various conditions. Now, with that in mind, my first exposure suit will be wet, not dry, as I don't expect to dive conditions requiring a drysuit near as much as those requiring a wetsuit. That said, this is about the boots. I hear drysuit boots are typically a bit larger than wetsuit boots. I want to only need to buy 1 size fins, so I would like to get larger wetsuit boots that are the same size and flexibility as dry boots. Does anybody have any recommendations? I know a lot of you have dry suits, and I'm sure at least some have done what I want to do and got wet boots the same size as your dry boots to only use one pair of fins.

You are probably going to need to think about 2 sets of boots and maybe fins.

With the wetsuit you will be barefoot in the boot so it will be smaller. With the drysuit you will have socks on and the drysuit material over your feet that will need to go into boots. My drysuit boots are about 2 sizes larger to fit over all this.

Also you may require heavier fins for drysuit diving to counteract the air that is in your feet making your feet light.

If you try to get something that might work for both then you are going to end up with real loose fins and boots when diving wet and that probably won't be pleasant.

Right now just focus on wet and cross the dry bridge when you come to it. Fins and boots are a small expense compared to the suit and training etc.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2013 at 10:56 PM ----------

Why get a normal bc and bp/w? Just go to the bp/w and save yourself the trouble.

You are probably going to need to think about 2 sets of boots and maybe fins.

With the wetsuit you will be barefoot in the boot so it will be smaller. With the drysuit you will have socks on and the drysuit material over your feet that will need to go into boots. My drysuit boots are about 2 sizes larger to fit over all this.

Also you may require heavier fins for drysuit diving to counteract the air that is in your feet making your feet light.

If you try to get something that might work for both then you are going to end up with real loose fins and boots when diving wet and that probably won't be pleasant.

Right now just focus on wet and cross the dry bridge when you come to it. Fins and boots are a small expense compared to the suit and training etc.

---------- Post added November 16th, 2013 at 10:56 PM ----------

Why get a normal bc and bp/w? Just go to the bp/w and save yourself the trouble.
I will definitely be getting 2 different kinds of boots. I didn't mean I wanted one pair for both wet and dry. I want 2 pairs that are similar outside dimensions so they fit the same fins. I would like to get one pair of top of the line fins. And as I look around and price them, they seem to go for about $200 and another $50-75 for spring straps. I'd much prefer to spend that nearly $300 on one pair and put the cost of a 2nd into something else.

As far as the BCD/BP&W. My thought is to get a nice used BCD first. Something in the $500-800 range new that I can pick up for around $200 used. And then slowly build the BP&W setup to exactly what I want after I get more dives under my belt, and acquire more knowledge. I figure by that point, I should have a better idea on what I want and build an exact rig. Then add wings to it depending on different applications

You could pick up a used bp/w for the $200. If you are considering that route go ahead and do it. It will really make it so much better for diving.

As far as one set of fins for 2 different boots. Can't help you there. I normally wear a size 13 shoe. For wet diving I have neoprene boots and size XL fins. For dry diving I have size 15 chuck taylors (these are very thin) and size XXL fins. I could almost have size 16 chucks - the 15s are a bit tight if I am wearing 2 pairs of socks for the cold stuff.

As for fins I have a lightweight set for wetsuit diving and I have a heavier jetfin type fin for dry diving. I need the heavier fin for the drysuit to help trim out my feet better, but they are too heavy for wetsuit diving.

Also there isn't really a "top of the line fin" there is just the best fin for the job. You can pick up used jet fins with spring straps for $75 on here used and they last forever.

You are better off just focussing on your wet diving for now and getting the right thing for that, then worry about what you need for drysuit diving later.

The bp/w on the other hand is so expandable from single tank to full doubles that you might as well skip the jacket and go for it now.

I'm sure at least some have done what I want to do and got wet boots the same size as your dry boots to only use one pair of fins.

Use your wetsuit booties for drysuit diving instead of rock boots. I spent a lot of money coming to this simple conclusion. For the life of me I don't even know why rock boots inhabit a place in our universe.

Top of the line fins for $200? Absolutely no reason in the world to spend that much. 125.00 for new ones will get you a great pair of fins. Buy used and they'll start at 50.00 or so. With springs.

And good luck on building the exact BPW. You'll get close after a while but then you'll see something that makes sense and want to try it. Or someone will suggest trying this or that and you will. I have three of mine dialed in now and they do not change. Unless my other two that I have for experimenting reveal something new and I make an adjustment on the others. Or you buy a Freedom Contour plate and it makes you rethink all of your single tank set ups.

Then you find out that just having separate wings is a pain in the butt. So you end up with al plates, stainless plates, one rig for doubles, one for singles, one for travel, and one for cold water singles and a dry suit. And you think you're good to go for whatever comes your way.

Then you discover the joys of sidemounting. And it starts all over again:shakehead:. :D

You could theoretically use one pair of boots, namely the ones that you use for the dry-suit and purchase a pair of neoprene socks. Freedivers who operate in cold waters wear such neoprene socks, which come in varying thickness from 2 to 7mm. I personally own a pair of Argos 4.0mm (best construction but too thin for 50F water) and a pair of Yazbeck 7.0mm (warm and comfy but not the quality of Argos). Be aware that the freediving industry uses a different grade of neoprene, where flexibility is primary concern, not resistance to compression. Hence, I would think that even my 7.0mm neoprene socks would make me very cold at depth.

In truth, you're better off buying a quality pair of drysuit and wetsuit boots. Fourth Element and Xcel make very nice rugged boots with thick and sturdy soles. Don't be fooled by some manufacturers who make what looks to be a good sole only to find them flimsy.

Xcel ThermoBarrier Molded Sole 6.5mm - Black - AB650399 | Xcel US

Amphibian & Pelagic Diving Boots | Fourth Element

If you operate in primarily cold water, you wont ever go back to your wetsuit.

I have size 12 feet. I wear a DUI drysuit with rock boots. I have XL Mares Plana Avanti Quattro Pro fins. I wear O'Neil 5mm wetsuit boots with said fins. I'm fine either way.

You don't necessarily need different size boots or fins when you dive dry or wet. I use the same fins whether I'm diving dry or wet. But that because the dry suit I dive has molded rubber boots that can even be turned inside out for easy cleaning and drying (yes, you do have to wash that dry suit every now and then :wink: ). You could go with rock boots or a dry suit with large sole boots that are attached and you will likely need larger fins. But there's no point in that when other options are available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom