Boston whaler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yojreilly

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just bought a older Boston whaler montauk 17', with 140 HP. It is a great dive boat for the Oregon coast. It's has a solid hull, just needs clean up work to get her ship shape.

It has retractable canopy that I'm thinking about replacing with a permeant stainless frame canopy with canvass. I'm wondering if the permeant canopy will be a problem in a high wind? Could a strong side gust, flip the boat?

I see canopies like the one I want on boats all the time. I'm just wondering if my 17' is large and stable enough to support it.
Not that I plan to go out in a gale, but one may sneak up on the way home sometime.

Also I'm working out a folding dive ladder. There's limited room on the transom, with the out board. I can make it work, but I wonder if a dive ladder on the side is possible on a Montauk?
Thanks-----JR

Congrats, wow, 140 horses on a boat like that, wow.

My opinion only, I do not like the idea of a T top on boats under 20 feet. I do not think I would install one on an old style Montauk, I would get a new bimini top for it and call it good. Yeah, in a blow it could add windage and instability.

N

I have a '98 Montauk with a 90 HP that I use diving off Monterey about 70 days a year
for the last 12 years. I can almost never use all 90 HP on the ocean. 140 HP is overkill.

Here's some information on what I did to mine to set it up for diving:
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

Depending on year, yours may or may not have the transom wood to support a swimstep.

If you are using yours for diving, a Bimini/Ttop isn't all that useful because you will be
suited up. And what gets you wettest is spray when the wind is from the side. A
Bimini/Ttop won't help that, and the framework gets in the way for gearing up.

The whaler crowd hangs out at http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
Somebody over there will know whether yours has the transom wood or not.

A bimini top pulls off in about three minutes completely for those days you don't want it. A Tee top does not. A bimini can also fold forward.

One of the things that helps resale with Whaler boats is not d---ing them up. Biminis were installed traditionally on that boat, a Tee top would potentially be a negative, IMO.

Continuous Wave is like "Grumpy Old Men" with boats arguing over wet foam. I think they all still wear leisure suits.

If you get a bimini, try and find one with stainless steel bows and fittings.

N

Last edited:
Most tee tops don't offer as much sun protection as a bimini and can't be removed but they are good to mount electronics on.

Thank for the replies.
I've seen the light.
I'll get new fabric for the top I have and be happy with it.

I think bimini's get in the way too much. Not to mention they are just unsightly. But to each his own. I've got a t-top on my Mako CC and wouldn't have it any other way. The first time you get dragged around the gunwales by a big fish you'll see exactly what I mean.

Buy a swim step 16 inches wide 16 deep and a telescopic three step stainless ladder . This will get you out of the water safely. I do it with a set of doubles on with my boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom