Bottle hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Diving for bottles in upstate new york
Been diving for bottles and stoneware in differant lakes in upstate new york for more then forty years. I am getting older but still go out finding old bottles. the lakes in new york seem to have lots of bottles some lakes more then other. One of my favorite lakes to dive is one of the smallest lakes up north was horseshoe lake where round bottom bottles from Belfast Ireland were stack up like cord wood over two hundren in a pile. And some still in crates maple sryup bottles nine differnt sizes. hundreds in a piles in fifteen to tweenty feet of water.If you were a blind bottle hunter you would not have any problem finding them. Other lakes in the Adirondack good for bottles is Raquette,Sagamore,Tupper, and many more.One of the more deeper underwater bottle dumps that we found was in blue mt.lake fifty to sixty feet in cold merky water.where you would find a barrel stave sticking out of the mud. I would stick my arm in the mud up to my shoulder I could feel the bottles with my goody bag at my side ready for the bottles I would start pulling my hand out of the mud leaving a cloud of mud all around where you couldn,t see a thing.from there on its all felling for the bottles not knowing what kind of bottles you got till you fill your goody bag and come to the surface.I am just an old bottle hound.
Dan

Sounds like fun. Collecting artifacts, fossils etc gives diving some purpose other than just sightseeing. It's really neat to research the history behind your finds as well. Haven't found many artifacts ie bottles except some from the late 19th century that I found in the waters off Egmont Key in the early 70's (yeah, been at it awhile too!). Have mainly found some really nice Megalodon teeth (biggest 5 1/2") off Venice Fla.

If you're ever in the area and want to find some nice teeth, go out on a charter with Fl.West Scuba School Venice, Fl. 941-486-1400 with Capt. Steve Thacker, and personal friend and geologist/dive shop owner for a real educational dive.

I'd like to try bottle diving in NY but need the time and a drysuit!

Hi and welcome to SB
Your bottle diving got my attention,
Collecting artifacts can be alot of fun and interesting, we found pieces of ancient pottery in the White Mountains in Arizona. But nothing yet diving,
Happy and safe diving always
scubagirl_61

Welcome to :sblogo:....Dan
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Howdy and welcome to SB!

It helps when you complete your Profile. :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Welcome to the Scubaboard! You sure know how to have some diving fun!

Daniel Weeden:
.I am just an old bottle hound.
Dan

Not diving related but bottle related.....Do you have a market or trading group for your bottles? I have two cousins to whom my uncles left two basements full of bottles collected in old dumps on Indiana farms. They have a lot of old, good looking stuff but don't know what to do with it.

See if you can find my bazooka bubble gum knife and the fishing pole I lost in Racquet Lake. I lost it in 1968 while fishing around the racquet river entrance. <grin>
I can only imagine the finds in that area. As a kid I remember the racquets, skis and allsorts of cool stuff in the cabins on the lake. I am in central Florida since the early 70&#8217;s and have not had the chance to get back to my fondest childhood memories on the lakes.

So this bottle diving thing...

Is this diving for bottles to clean up the lake? That's what it sounded like to me when you said bottle dumps. Everyone replied about artifact hunting- are these valuable bottles? Do you sometimes get cut by broken glass in low vis? Are these bottles that used to be trash but they're so old they're valuable now? Why are all these people tossing bottles in the lake anyway?

Welcome to the board (don't worry, you don't have to answer all that- I'm just nosey :))

On of our local lakes (Coeur d' Alene) is an old shipping waterway, and I sometimes find old bottles, jars and stuff - which I bring home for my collection.

Unfortunately, my lovely wife does not appreciate these fine treasures, and has been known to say, "Get that junk out of the house!" So my bottles have been banished to a shelf in the garage.

I once started looking up values of some of them on the net, and realized that the entire collection of them was worth maybe a hundred bucks.

I guess wifey has a point. :wink:

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom