Bought a wetsuit, now not sure if correct one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twice on trips to Victoria BC I did 4 - 5 days of 2 dives with 7C water in a 7mm john and shorty with 5mm hood, boots, and gloves. Typically 45 minute dive tine with 1 hour SI. How comfortable I was on the second dive had more to do with the surface temperature / wind.

In those temps, that 8/7/6/5 should be fine by itself.

If he wants to up his body temp, bring hot water! It's cheap, easy, and is guaranteed to increase comfort.

What does one do with the hot water? Sorry if it is a silly question.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 08:56 AM ----------

Hi
This is the reply I got back from xcel.

"Hello
It is 0.6 centigrade per second"

Does that mean anything?

Regards
Wena

Wena,

I found the following info on www.surf-forecast.com: Kleinmond (Cape Town) sea temperatures peak in the range 19 to 23°C (66 to 73°F) on around the 3rd of February and are at their coldest on about the 13th of July, in the range 14 to 16°C (57 to 61°F).

This site has been very reliable for the places I have visited so far.

I guess it will depend heavily on whether you dive the Atlantic or Indian Ocean... If he's cold, maybe he should just stick to the Indian ocean ? :wink:

Hi
Thanks to all for the replies.
On further investigation it looks like the water temp is between 10c (50f) and 18c (64f).

Maybe a 2mm shorty top?

Thanks
Wena

Hi
On further investigation it looks like the water temp is between 10c (50f) and 18c (64f).

Maybe a 2mm shorty top?

Thanks
Wena

Hello from a fellow Cape Town diver!

The water temperatures in Cape Town vary considerably on the two sides of the Peninsula. The Atlantic Side, which generally has better conditions in summer, is colder -- bottom temps of around 7--12C. False Bay, which generally has better diving in winter, is a little warmer. Bottom temps are usually 13--18C, but it can sometimes be as low as 10C under a thermocline on a deeper dive or warmer in the middle of summer (it's been 20--23C for the last couple of weekends).

As a number of people have pointed out, everyone's cold tolerance differs, so there's no one answer. For diving on the Atlantic side, drysuits are the generally preferred option, although some divers swear by the 7mm semi-dry suits or two-piece open-cell neoprene suits. Unless you have the constitution of a seal, it gets very uncomfortable after 30 minutes in the water with just a two-piece 7mm wetsuit. For False Bay, I find my two-piece 5+7mm wetsuit is generally enough to do two 50 minute dives comfortably. Your son is likely to do most of his early dives over on that side (the vis isn't great in summer, but as long as the swell's low, the shore dives are still alright), so I don't think it's a bad choice.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 11:41 AM ----------

I'm not sure where you get the 7degC figure from - that seems awfully low for your latitude. I was always under the impression that SA sea surface temperatures tend to be like 13-15 in winter on the west coast (maybe getting to 11 below the thermocline). I dive colder than that (10-12) in winter with a lesser suit that what your kid got (I use a 7mm jumpsuit w/a 5mm hooded vest). Single dives work out fine, but I do get a bit chilled after following dives, but nothing that a thermos of tea and a jacket during surface intervals can't fix. If I'm right about your temps, I'm sure your kid will be fine.

The 7C figure is correct for the 'Atlantic side' (western coast) of the Cape Peninsula. The Benguela Current coupled with upwellings caused by the prevailing off-shore south-east wind chill the water considerably. After an upwelling, which is the time that offers the best visibility, it's usually 9 or 10C at the surface with a 1C drop for every 10 or so metres of depth. Chilly. A few days later, if the wind's dropped, the water's warmer (maybe 12C at the surface) and pea green.

I guess we will find out soon enough if he is warm or not.
1 good thing is the supplier has said, if the suit is not warm enough he will refund me my cash.

Wena

I've gone in when the ice was flowing and the water was a warm 32.4F and my core was perfectly warm in a 8/7 semi-dry henderson that is probably comparable to the 8/7/6/5 in warmth. Pour the warm water into the suit right before getting in the water. Down both arms, legs, chest and back. My limiting factor in that water is my fingers and toes. Get a good set of 5mm gloves and polypropylene socks for under his boots. They'll still be cold but manageable.

I disagree with adding another layer to a wetsuit this thick. He will already experience a substantial buoyancy shift due to the thick suit, and especially as a new diver will find it hard to hold his safety stops if he is wearing a thicker suit. You might consider a skin for under the suit. It will add a little warmth by slowing the flow of water but won't affect his buoyancy as much. They're also pretty cheap.

Add a hooded vest and some decent booties and gloves/mittens then see how it goes. I were between 7 and 14mm of neoprene when diving cold water wet. I definitely notice some change in buoyancy which can be hard to deal with as a new diver but it's not unmanageable.

The hot water is for either before or after the dive. A great way to keep warm during a surface interval is to run warm water into your wetsuit. Helps keep your core temperature up because as you sit in between dives once you get cold on the boat/shore you will be even colder when you get back into the water. At that point you will never warm up during the dive.

I've taken hot water in a thermos to the beach to use after a dive to get warm. Be careful the water isn't too hot, you don't want to put boiling water directly into the suit because you'll burn yourself. Make sure the water is warm enough to the touch without being too hot. I've also used hand held chemical warmers for my daughter but they don't get that warm. A hot water bag works better.

What does one do with the hot water? Sorry if it is a silly question. /QUOTE]

Fill your boots and gloves, wet the inside of your hood...pour a little bit down your neck, then begin your dive!

When you get out, drain your gloves, boots, and ankles, then pour more hot water in the suit. If it is a long surface interval, it is best to remove the wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom