• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bouyancy Mystifies Me

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by pauldw, Oct 19, 2019.

1. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You are almost there. But why is the horizontal position of the lowest potential energy?

2. dead dog

dead dog Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    It's a matter of luck.

BlueTrin likes this.
  3. BlueTrin

BlueTrin DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    It’s a theoretical problem :)

4. BlueTrin

I didn’t compute any maths but if you change the position to vertex yo for example would it being the center of gravity to a higher position ?

therefore it would require more energy to move it there from face up

um not too sure about what I typed. Seems wrong using symmetry, except if the half in the water is.

is there any surface tension in the solution ?

5. ScubaRob0311

ScubaRob0311 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Wouldn't a wooden cube float with one point down and one point up?

It would seem that a log and most things that float will do so with the most surface area in contact with the water.

6. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I disavow my first link and stand by my second link.

7. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

eleniel, dead dog, FinnMom and 2 others like this.
  8. dberry

dberry Hydrophilic ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If the log is positively buoyant, the center of gravity in the vertical orientation would be higher than when the log is horizontal. Lowest potential energy would be when the center of gravity is as low as possible. Think of an overloaded container ship with too many containers stacked too high. It might be floating (buoyant), but it would want to heel over.

That can't be the whole story, tho'. I suppose in the vertical position you've got more of the log submerged, thus buoyant forces are pushing more of the log up. Parts of the log out of the water are only subject to the force of gravity pulling down, without any buoyant force. The most stable position would have as little of the log submerged as possible.

I don't feel like thinking about this in any great detail, but I suspect exact calculations on the vertical log would require integration of the forces working on the submerged parts of the log (buoyancy and gravity) versus the part of the vertical log sticking out of the water. Physics has never been my strong suit, but this all brings to mind long-forgotten terms such as torque, angular momentum, and formulas for all sorts of rotating objects (and lever arms).

9. BlueTrin

I think one thing I didn’t realise is that, maybe it is not obvious the ratio between the submerged and out of water depending of the density of the wood.

10. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I don't think position (orientation) of a homogeneous object is going to affect the density, the buoyancy or the portion of the object that is held above the water surface.