Box Jellyfish.... important data

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some jelly stingers penetrate 1.5mm neoprene. The pantyhose/rashguard defense is only effective against incidental brushings and brief contacts. If you stick a tentacle from a sea nettle or man 'o war against a lycra rashguard, you're going to feel the burn!

archman:
Some jelly stingers penetrate 1.5mm neoprene. The pantyhose/rashguard defense is only effective against incidental brushings and brief contacts. If you stick a tentacle from a sea nettle or man 'o war against a lycra rashguard, you're going to feel the burn!

how different are the stingers of a box jellyfish compared to others? I could tell you that when I tried the pantyhose, I still got stung in my armpit and nipple (not by a box though). Don't let me get started on the lemon juice I put on it afterwards. It hurts just to think about it again...

I've read this about the panty hose too. I know of a diver who wrapped stockings around his neck and hood to get into a tide pool to photo some fish. The pool had a few "boxes" in it and he's still around.....apparently they have short pneumatocysts..?

So are a box jellyfish and the sea wasp one and the same? In which regions are they found?

Mrs.Prages:
So are a box jellyfish and the sea wasp one and the same? In which regions are they found?

It seems that they are the same but here's a better link:

http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/the-great-barrier-reef/jellyfish.htm

The link also says where they can be found (mostly Australia and South Pacific?).

The amazing thing is Australia has an even more poisonous jellyfish, the Irukandji jellyfish. The Irukandji is no bigger than your fingernail. :11:

This is getting too tough ... I may just dive in a pool.

diversjobs:
IN a breakthrough that could bring a new defence against the world's deadliest animal, Queensland scientists have discovered that the box jellyfish flees from the colour red.

I'm not against colorful attire, but I refuse to wear all red - it turns to pink after 10 feet, and I don't need to be referred to as the "pink guy" on my scuba trips :wink:

I'll stick with my 3 mm black and blue full-sleeve neoprine. Jellyfish can't get through that, and I can probably keep them off of my face and neck.

neil:
So, exactly how fast can a jellyfish flee?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Fleeing jellyfish really conjures up funny mental pictures for me.

Also - how long do you have to go to school before you can discern a jellyfish 'saunter' or 'mosey' from a 'flee' or 'stampede'?

David

TheDavil:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Fleeing jellyfish really conjures up funny mental pictures for me.

Also - how long do you have to go to school before you can discern a jellyfish 'saunter' or 'mosey' from a 'flee' or 'stampede'?

David

A quote from the link I posted above:

"....The Box Jellyfish shoots itself along up to speeds of 4 knots in a jet-like motion. "

At that speed, you can tell if a saunter from a mosey. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom