Boycott Boca Dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've called the shop three times now. The first two times the people I spoke with were ignorant of the website, spearfishing and spearfishing regulations. Today, I spoke for quite a while to Capt. Ken's wife. She seemed unaware of scubaboard and viewed the situation as an unnamed person attempting to slander the shop.

She agreed that the picture was a very poor idea. She indicated that she did not know the whole and complete story, but it went something like this:

Ken was diving when he came upon the nurse shark which was impaled by a gaff. He rescued the shark and released it. There was no connection to spearfishing.

I think that it is quite likley thta a fisherman may have hooked the shark and then after gaffing it, the shark shook causing the fisherman to loose his gaff and the shark swims away. I have found a number of gaffs, some even floating.

The story sounds resonable but I doubt it was necessary to remove the shark from the water and taking the pictures and posting them on the spearing page of the website was incredibly stupid as is some of the other language on the site. The poor wife seemed somewhat overwhelmed with the situation and capt, Ken is unable to address the situation due to family responsibilities.

I figured it is only fair to present the other side of the story, even though I have been very harsh in my own posts.

I've called the shop three times now. The first two times the people I spoke with were ignorant of the website, spearfishing and spearfishing regulations. Today, I spoke for quite a while to Capt. Ken's wife. She seemed unaware of scubaboard and viewed the situation as an unnamed person attempting to slander the shop.

She agreed that the picture was a very poor idea. She indicated that she did not know the whole and complete story, but it went something like this:

Ken was diving when he came upon the nurse shark which was impaled by a gaff. He rescued the shark and released it. There was no connection to spearfishing.

I think that it is quite likley thta a fisherman may have hooked the shark and then after gaffing it, the shark shook causing the fisherman to loose his gaff and the shark swims away. I have found a number of gaffs, some even floating.

The story sounds resonable but I doubt it was necessary to remove the shark from the water and taking the pictures and posting them on the spearing page of the website was incredibly stupid as is some of the other language on the site. The poor wife seemed somewhat overwhelmed with the situation and capt, Ken is unable to address the situation due to family responsibilities.

I figured it is only fair to present the other side of the story, even though I have been very harsh in my own posts.

No doubt, in the unlikely event the shark didn't shake free of the gaff it would be extremely simple to remove a gaff underwater and let the shark swim on it's way.

No doubt, in the unlikely event the shark didn't shake free of the gaff it would be extremely simple to remove a gaff underwater and let the shark swim on it's way.

He brought the shark with gaff up from the depths, held onto until boat arrived, landed on boat somehow, held onto for photo op, then set free? Fishing gaffs are not barbed. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

He brought the shark with gaff up from the depths, held onto until boat arrived, landed on boat somehow, held onto for photo op, then set free? Fishing gaffs are not barbed. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Yeah, and took the time to strip off all of his dive gear, I'm not buying.

I understand trying to CYA now.. But don't insult me like I have an ax to grind.. I only posted because it was very irresponsible for a shop owner to indicate on a public website that this was HIS catch.. I have no reason to slander the shop, so don't try and turn this on everyone else when as others have suggested.. Highly unlikely that Capt. Ken brought that shark from the depths.. Stripped himself of his gear.. Brought the shark on board.. Then released it, only to put it on a spearfishing page.. And all this was for the good of the shark?!!!

Really??? Don't insult me over something you did!!!!

i think he took the pic off the site. i don't see a speared shark anywhere...

The picture has been removed. None of us were there and we're looking at a single photo inventing an entire story around the photo. His explanation sounds reasonable. I was once on a jury with people who loved to create their own facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom