Boyne City Charlevoix Petoskey Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bnscherm

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any information on diving in these areas. There use to to be a dive shop in East Jordan where one could get a tank fill, but I believe there number has been disconnected. Has anyone heard of a dive shop/instructor operating out of Bay Harbor? Also, supposedly there is a nice wreck somewhere in Round Lake in Charlevoix, but I've never been able to find it. Supposedly there use to be a dive marker on one of the docks marking a cable that goes to the ship, but I've never been able to find this either. I have dove the Keuka in Lake Charlevoix, and it was an excellent fairly shallow intact wreck dive. I've also heard rumors of a submerged train car somewhere near Boyne City that would be interesting to check out if someone knew where that was? likewise with a cabin cruiser or criss craft somewhere off of the old power plant? Any info people have done on dives in this area would be awesome.

Bnscherm:
I was wondering if anybody had any information on diving in these areas. There use to to be a dive shop in East Jordan where one could get a tank fill, but I believe there number has been disconnected. Has anyone heard of a dive shop/instructor operating out of Bay Harbor? Also, supposedly there is a nice wreck somewhere in Round Lake in Charlevoix, but I've never been able to find it. Supposedly there use to be a dive marker on one of the docks marking a cable that goes to the ship, but I've never been able to find this either. I have dove the Keuka in Lake Charlevoix, and it was an excellent fairly shallow intact wreck dive. I've also heard rumors of a submerged train car somewhere near Boyne City that would be interesting to check out if someone knew where that was? likewise with a cabin cruiser or criss craft somewhere off of the old power plant? Any info people have done on dives in this area would be awesome.

The one with all the answers to those questions is CLDWDVR(sp) sorry dave I always get your nickname wrong. Anyway he grew up in Traverse City and knows all of the areas you are talking about. I can tell you though he took us upthere for a weekend dive excursion last year and you will be able to catch a glimpse of the ever elusive Zebra muscle and the even more rare sightings of crey fish. Im not sure of a sunken boat off of the power plant we dove there the one in Traverse City any way all the way to the end of the tubes and never saw a sunken boat.

Hello,

Try http://www.scubanorth.com/ They're a LDS in Traverse City. Should be able to help you out. Sorry to hear about the LDS in East Jordan. They were some nice folks there too. Scuba North will have the info that you're looking for. Happy diving to you.

Correct, SCUBANorth will have all the answers. They used to have sheets with directions to all the local dive haunts including the best places to bottle hunt.

The wreck in round lake is an old Criss Craft. I believe the Elizabeth. If I have the directions in my head correct, it's on the East side on the end of the lake closest to Lake Charlevoix. There's also a dinky little life saving vessel of some sort that can be combined with the Elizabeth. The most fun I've had there was several years ago when there was a mud puppy in the engine.

Off of Petosky there is a sunken crusifix (sp?) and several memorials to divers past. Perhaps Dave or sCUBA North can help with directions there. Otherwise, I'll call my friend that I went with. I just recall hauling an inflatable over a ton of rocks / boulders to get to the water.

Paula

diver_paula:
The wreck in round lake is an old Criss Craft. I believe the Elizabeth.

Paula

Yup, problem is unless you boat dive it, you need to know someone to shore dive it since most of the shore access i'm aware of is private property. It is a cool dive but the Keuka is much nicer imo.

Also, as far as i know, the shop in East Jordan is still open. It was last summer anyway. The owner works a couple other jobs so staffing can get rather sporatic at times but i think he is still in business. I'll find out and let y'all know.

And to whom it may concern, the pipeline in Traverse City off the power plant, is no longer off the power plant. In other words, the power plant has been torn down so that big blue landmark is gone. Right now they have the public shore access to the site fenced off while they complete the demo. Not sure when it will be opened back up but since the demo looks to be almost done i would guess it should be soon.

Also, there is no wreck i'm aware of off the pipelines. There are three pipelines of varying lengths and they have wooden intake cribs filled with rocks at the end, which are usually teaming with fish, crayfish and yes the ever elusive zebra mussel but no wreck i've ever found. Its a good dive. I've probably done it 50 times over the years and i still enjoy it.

Bnscherm, not much around Charlevoix, Bay Harbor, Petoskey area in the way of wrecks that i'm aware of. But as i'm sure you are aware, if you live in the Petoskey area, you are about an hour away from some great wreck diving in the Straits. A little on the advanced side maybe but PM me if you want some info on that.

Wait till you hear the rumor of the fully intact B-52 bomber somewhere in Little Traverse Bay. Makes the train rumor pale in comparison. :wink:

Oh and welcome from another Tech, toot grad, class of 83 ..... hard to believe its been over 20 years. I did my BOW class wet,up there in Eagle Harbor in the spring of 1980. Lake Superior can get a little nippy in the spring eh?

North West Scuba is still open. Not sure about weekday hours but they are open 10-5 on Sat. Closed Sun. Hope this helps.

E.B.

Shop #231-536-0235

diver_paula:
Hey Jon.

Why the name change?

Got tired of trying to explain what a "gedunk" was and for the life of me can't remember why i picked it in the first place. I am such a internet rookie sometimes. Names like "diver_Jon" just makes too much sense. :wink:

Bnscherm, the rumor is, it was never recovered and the recovery story is just a cover. It makes sense if you know how big a B-52 is and how little salvage capability the USCG had around these part at the time. Could be just pieces - parts though, without much to recover, depending on how hard she augered in.

Would be a very cool dive to say the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom