Boyne City Charlevoix Petoskey Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an open hull barge off Marion Island in Grand Traverse Bay. It's call The Tramp. My Dad said there is a bouy that is marking it. He also said that is was something that SCUBA North put down several years ago. He also said that it is in about 50 feet of water.

As for the pipe line near where the power plant was there is a marina there called Clinch Park Marina and there is a 'pile' of stuff down there infront of the marina. When it was decribed to me I pictured a pile of boards and stuff, kinda like and underwater junkyard.

There is also a small wreck off Bryant Park. It's in about 40 feet of water. I believe it is also has a bouy.

There is part of a DNR? boat that is off Elmwood Township beach that is under a blue (if the same boat is anchored there) Sail Boat. I have dove this one. In fact it was one of my training dives when I took my basic diver class a couple years ago. It's pretty much covered by Zebra muscles, but still cool. It's down about 45 feet.

These are all in West Grand Traverse Bay. I haven't dove any of these yet. I have a hard time finding a dive buddy. I don't seem to be able to find someone to dive with and I have a hard time going with the crew from SCUBA North because of work and school. Everyone at SCUBA North is great! I love going in there to shop or just when I get my tanks filled. The owner is awesome too!

If you have any other questions about Grand Traverse County, let me know. I live here and I can always find out. I'm also exploring to see if there are any good sites in some of the surrounding counties.

Alanna :dazzler1:

Also I know SCUBA North uses the Keuka for their ice diving classes in the winter. I heard it is more impressive under the ice! I've haven't dove it...yet.

Alanna

Ok I did a little more reserach today. The Elizabeth II is the other wreck in Charlevoix, I believe that is the one in Round Lake. SCUBA North does Charter dives to the Kekula and the Elizabeth II. I'm sure they would have more information.

There truely is a B 52 in Little Traverse Bay. I asked my Dad about it tonight when i was talking to him. There is a little road side park by Big Rock Power Plant (it's a decomissioned power plant if you didn't know that). Apparently if the plane had not gone down when it did, it would have crashed into the power plant. The plane is in about 300 feet of water. They took the bodies of the crew members out shortly after it happened. My Dad said that there is a plaque at the road side park and the plane is a little north of the road side park.

I also found out that the Manitou Passage, located between the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore and North and South Manitou Islands, has about 47 wrecks at the bottom. SCUBA North also does charters here. They list them as beginner's dives. In about 40 to 60 feet of water. I work out in that area so I am going to talk to some of the Park Rangers to see if I can get more info on the passage. I'll let you all know. I do know that one wreck is visible from the main land on a clear day. I've never seen it myself, but I'm planning on investigating soon. I found out about it in the dead of winter and I wasn't running down to the shoreline in 4 feet of snow. lol

DiverEMT:
I also found out that the Manitou Passage, located between the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore and North and South Manitou Islands, has about 47 wrecks at the bottom. SCUBA North also does charters here. They list them as beginner's dives. In about 40 to 60 feet of water. I work out in that area so I am going to talk to some of the Park Rangers to see if I can get more info on the passage. I'll let you all know. I do know that one wreck is visible from the main land on a clear day. I've never seen it myself, but I'm planning on investigating soon. I found out about it in the dead of winter and I wasn't running down to the shoreline in 4 feet of snow. lol

These wrecks are fun to dive. Most are not very intact given the depth but definitely fun. I love wrecks that are in pieces. Gives me a better idea of how a ship goes together. & lends a greater appreciation to those that are intact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom