Boynton Inlet Loggerhead DB broken up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey
Just got call that maybe it was the Loggerhead dive boat that was capsized off the Boynton Inlet today,
That all were ok but the boat was busted up?on the beach.
My best wishes go out to all and hope all and crew are OK!Anyone with any info please let us know as I was just with them several weeks back.
Man the inlet has looked bad from the web cam with the storm the past days.
Be safe all,
Brad

I heard aboot this a few hours ago... ive been told that "The Loggerhead flipped on the way in today... everyone is okay, but the boat is done."

hopefully they can get everthing sorted out (financially) quickly after this

glad to hear the crew are ok

5 taken to hospital after dive boat capsizes at Boynton Inlet -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

5 taken to hospital after dive boat capsizes at Boynton Inlet
By Joel Hood | Sun-Sentinel.com
11:25 AM EDT, November 3, 2007
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Single page view Reprints Reader feedback Text size: A dive boat capsized in the choppy water in the Boynton Beach Inlet near Manalapan just before 9:30 a.m. Saturday.

All five occupants of the boat were tossed into the water. They have been transported to Bethesda Medical Center in Boynton Beach. It's not believed that their injuries are life-threatening, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

Manalapan police officers have blocked off a section of traffic at the inlet along State Road A1A, causing delays.

According to Barbera, the dive boat had already completed its dive and was coming back into shore through 8- to 10-foot breakers in the ocean. It's not yet known what caused the boat to overturn, she said.

John Allen, owner of the Loggerhead Enterprise Dive Charter in Boynton Beach, where the dive boat originated, was out of town Saturday when he heard the news about an hour ago. He said he's trying to find out information about the incident.

Interesting why a dive boat is coming in at 9:30 in the morning. Most have an 8:00-8:30 go, I am wondering if they decided it was too rough out.

Interesting why a dive boat is coming in at 9:30 in the morning. Most have an 8:00-8:30 go, I am wondering if they decided it was too rough out.[/QUOTE]

Well at least the news that all are well is good,

I was told the boat was a total loss from a pal that lives near by
Thanks all!
Brad

Why would anyone want to go out in those conditions?

Boat payments

Why would anyone want to go out in those conditions?

The Boynton Inlet can be ugly at times. If there is a wind coming in from off shore, and an out going tide, the brakers in the inlet can easily over turn a boat if you are not careful. The seas don't have to be bad for the inlet to be bad.

Most of the experienced skippers up there time the waves and "surf" into the inlet. The article said the owner was out of town. I'm not sure who was running the boat.

I just saw some posts on the Outdoor Best fishing forum. They aborted teh dives due to crappy viz, and were coming back in. They didn't have enough power to surf in. They took it ovewr the stern and rolled.

All 5 passengers are still in the hospital, but not in any danger. Reports also said that dive gear was washing up on shore.

That's really a tough inlet! Glad to hear the injuries were not life threatening.

If John was out of town then I guess Jim was at the helm. All of our thoughts and wishes are for speedy recovery of all. Boats can always be replaced

-s

Glad to hear everyone survived the ordeal and hope there are no serious injuries.

Following seas (waves from behind) are one of the most dangerous conditions to pilot a boat in. If the waves are travelling faster than the boat, they can easily catch the stern and cause the boat to broach (turn sideways to the waves). That makes it an easy job for the next wave to roll the boat over. If, as previously mentioned, the first wave came over the stern, that would place a large amount of water on deck making the boat even more unstable. Under these conditions a 10' wave could capsize a 40 or even 50' boat.

If you ever find yourself in these conditions....
1. Don't do the inlet unless you have to. Find a safer inlet or wait it out at anchor.
2. Make sure you have enough power to outrun the waves. Not that you want to, but you need reserve power for the unexpected.
3. Time your entry so that you are riding in on the backside of the wave and your bow is pointed up. Sliding down the wave you cannot control your speed and are at the mercy of the waves. (Waves show no mercy, ever!)
4. Stay with the wave, no faster, no slower, until you're all the way through.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom