BP pad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in early stage BP/W research, trying to understand the differences between various manufacturers. On the DSS website, I don't see any backplate pads under "BP accessories."

As I dive with a 3mm suit I was thinking that a backplate pad might make sense to protect against bolt snags.

Are these type of backplate pads offered by other manufacturers (Dive Rite, Oxycheq, OMS, etc.) considered unnecessary by DSS? For individuals who want to have the option of using pads, is there a recommended way to attach them to DSS' backplates?

Thanks!

I'm in early stage BP/W research, trying to understand the differences between various manufacturers. On the DSS website, I don't see any backplate pads under "BP accessories."

As I dive with a 3mm suit I was thinking that a backplate pad might make sense to protect against bolt snags.

Are these type of backplate pads offered by other manufacturers (Dive Rite, Oxycheq, OMS, etc.) considered unnecessary by DSS? For individuals who want to have the option of using pads, is there a recommended way to attach them to DSS' backplates?

Thanks!

It's worth noting that unless you are diving doubles there are no "Bolts" associated with DSS single rigs. We do not use a bolt on STA.

With properly set up doubles, the bolts are nowhere near your back or suit. Remember your back is actually concave at the point where the bolts might be closest.

Why don't we sell pads? You nailed it, they are unnecessary, and often end up removed an unused.

Backplates look intimidating to the new user. It sure looks like a pad would be a good thing, but they really are not needed. A well fit back plate is comfortable "bare" even with no exposure suit.

My advice; If you really think you need a pad, cut up an old wetsuit and zip tie the pad to the plate.

That way when you remove it after a couple dives you won't have another piece to add to the "I don't use those anymore pile" :wink:

Tobin

For a singles rig, I completely agree with Tobin (I'm happy not having one on my DSS plate I use when diving singles). I do use one when diving doubles (different, used plate). I don't do this because it's "more comfortable". That's a false reason to use a pad in my experience (whether in a 3mm or a DS). When diving doubles, I bring along a 50# lift bag in addition to my SMB (that I also carry when diving a single). I *personally* prefer to store it in a plate pad. I know many (Tobin included I believe) who prefer to simply bungee these to the bottom of the plate. Personal preference.

In any case, a pad is definitely not needed for comfort reasons. If you "need" to use one for storage (which I don't, just like it), then you'd likely be better off with a less flat plate. If you don't care about that, and just want an amazing plate (and wing, etc, etc, etc!) then buy the DSS one knowing you'll be completely satisfied.

Now, this may be a silly question, but what about interference with shoulder-entry drysuit zippers? (I haven't seen that many backplates in the real world, and none alongside shoulder-entry drysuits...) I would hate to scrap a zipper...

Now, this may be a silly question, but what about interference with shoulder-entry drysuit zippers? (I haven't seen that many backplates in the real world, and none alongside shoulder-entry drysuits...) I would hate to scrap a zipper...

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Bare, unpadded plates are routinely used with shoulder entry suits.

The plate does not contact the diver in the area of the zipper.

Tobin

Backplates look intimidating to the new user. It sure looks like a pad would be a good thing, but they really are not needed. A well fit back plate is comfortable "bare" even with no exposure suit.
Tobin

I can second Tobin's comment above. I used a BP/W with no padding in Malaysia a few months ago with only a swimsuit and was totally comfortable. I actually found it much more comfortable than any BCD. And that's with a crotch strap!

I appreciate all of the replies to my initial post. Very helpful comments.

Thanks Tobin for taking the time to clearly explain the DSS setup and your approach.

Back
Top Bottom