BP&W Perfect inflator length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinePlease

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
Just setup a BPW around Apeks WTX18 and found the corrugated inflator quite short. The point that the LP inflator hide was about 4-6inches too long. What’s the perfect length and where should the hand controls sit in comparison to the shoulder D ring??

I know this isn't particularly helpful, but the answer is wherever it works best for you. If you are an Air2 fan, a longer corrugated hose is needed to make sure you have mobility with it in your mouth. Outside of that it all comes down to personal preference.

Respectfully,

James

Not sure if the shoulder D-ring is the best point of reference since it can be moved up or down too.

I think it should be long enough where you can reach it an manipulate it comfortably. When I set my Hollis BP/W the inflator was just a hair lower than my left shoulder. I had to manipulate it using my right hand. It was almost useless. The hose length was 17" and the longest Hollis had available was 19", which wouldn't helped much. I found a hose from Dive Rite that is 22" and that fixed the problem.

I like the shoulder d-ring at my clavicle when just wearing the BP without a tank attached. Any lower and it jabs me if I reach hard across my chest.

Without changing the corrugated hose, it will be where it will be. Change the inflator hose to match. (This may depend on tank height, so set that first, ensuring you can reach the valve while diving. I see a LOT of low tanks!)

A strip or two of mountain bike inner tube around the corrugated tube up high can corral a slightly long inflator hose, forcing the excess to bend into a downward U shape near the tank.

A thin bungee above the d-ring will keep the controls in place and allow you to raise the end to vent. I run the inflator hose through it but not the corrugated hose so it will slide if I raise it. The bungee is high enough that it will not accidentally uncouple the inflator hose.

I always have mine just below the left shoulder d-ring so that the connection for the LP inflator is slightly lower than the D ring. This is so the LP hose from the reg can pass through the bungee on the d ring and when the inflator is raised, it slides easily along the LP hose. DO NOT put the corrugated hose through the bungee. It's not meant to go through it. I see a number of people make this mistake the first time they set up a BPW without experience in using one.
The inflator should be short so that it's not flopping around like an AIR 2 type device. You only need it long enough so that you can turn your head and dip you chin enough to orally inflate it.
This is so that it doesn't get tangled up in stage bottles or other items you may have clipped off to the d ring.
If you don't plan to use stages at all, it's ok to be a little on the longer side but it should still be neat and tight to the chest when not in use.
A piece of inner tube is generally used near the top of the corrugated hose to pass the LP inflator through, It doesn't need to be anywhere near the inflator itself or lower than the middle of the corrugated hose as it will impede the sliding when you raise it.
If you look at many jacket BCs, this is the reason people struggle to dump from the inflator. The velcro strap is too low on the shoulder strap and it pretty much forces a trap to form in the hose when people try to raise it.

I like the shoulder d-ring at my clavicle when just wearing the BP without a tank attached. Any lower and it jabs me if I reach hard across my chest.

Without changing the corrugated hose, it will be where it will be. Change the inflator hose to match. (This may depend on tank height, so set that first, ensuring you can reach the valve while diving. I see a LOT of low tanks!)

A strip or two of mountain bike inner tube around the corrugated tube up high can corral a slightly long inflator hose, forcing the excess to bend into a downward U shape near the tank.

A thin bungee above the d-ring will keep the controls in place and allow you to raise the end to vent. I run the inflator hose through it but not the corrugated hose so it will slide if I raise it. The bungee is high enough that it will not accidentally uncouple the inflator hose.
Hey I like the idea of this. Anchoring only the LP hose through the d ring, I’ll try that cheers

I always have mine just below the left shoulder d-ring so that the connection for the LP inflator is slightly lower than the D ring. This is so the LP hose from the reg can pass through the bungee on the d ring and when the inflator is raised, it slides easily along the LP hose. DO NOT put the corrugated hose through the bungee. It's not meant to go through it. I see a number of people make this mistake the first time they set up a BPW without experience in using one.
The inflator should be short so that it's not flopping around like an AIR 2 type device. You only need it long enough so that you can turn your head and dip you chin enough to orally inflate it.
This is so that it doesn't get tangled up in stage bottles or other items you may have clipped off to the d ring.
If you don't plan to use stages at all, it's ok to be a little on the longer side but it should still be neat and tight to the chest when not in use.
A piece of inner tube is generally used near the top of the corrugated hose to pass the LP inflator through, It doesn't need to be anywhere near the inflator itself or lower than the middle of the corrugated hose as it will impede the sliding when you raise it.
If you look at many jacket BCs, this is the reason people struggle to dump from the inflator. The velcro strap is too low on the shoulder strap and it pretty much forces a trap to form in the hose when people try to raise it.

My bungee is around the shoulder strap not the d ring. And I oversized it, barely stretched. Using a Dgx wing and soft hose, a firm tug to raise the dump, sends the bungie running up the strap. Sometimes I use the bungie to keep things extra tidy, sometimes I dont.

I do use a slice of innertube on the inflator hose. But much higher, top of my shoulder maybe.

Doesnt work so hot with the thicker non crushable wing hoses. (Like Dss)

I picked a length that reaches my chest. Generally over the dring, but only if bungied down. Without the bungie, it pokes out a bit, and clears the ring perfectly.

My Dss lcd30 was too short, it rested on top of my shoulder (6'3''), like a parrot. Could barely manual inflate it.

Anchoring only the LP hose through the d ring
No, I was talking about a bungee around the strap, and the inflator hose goes through the bungee loop only. Going through the d-ring would be ineffective, as it forces a downward loop/trap, and it also gets in the way of clipping other stuff to the ring.

You could capture the bungee at the d-ring or with another tri-glide to prevent sliding.

Back
Top Bottom