BP&W Perfect inflator length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea with short inflator hoses is that when you are in a flat position (in trim) the inflator isn’t hanging down in front of you banging into things.
The idea with a wing is that you use the butt dump for venting air almost exclusively and the inflator is just for inflating. Some people even bungee down the inflator on the shoulder strap so it doesn’t swing around and all you have to do is place your hand right above you left shoulder d-ring and it’s right there every time, no feeling around for it.
The length would depend on the type of wing and where the inflator hose is mounted, left side or center. And how far back the wing is off your back, style of plate and individual geometry.
You just have to try it and see.

I went from a 16" to a 22”. The first was to short for my air 2 and the second was a bit to long. I'm thinking I'll try a 19” next.

I wish they made one you could trim for the correct length for personal preference.

The length would depend on the type of wing and where the inflator hose is mounted, left side or center. And how far back the wing is off your back, style of plate and individual geometry.
You just have to try it and see.
I would like to add:
1. Orientation of the first stage eg. turret up or down.
2. Accessory eg Air horn or AIR 2 etc.

DGX has 10 different lengths(inflator hose) from 9" - 36" and three for corrugated hose.

Absolutely, just have to try it.

A thin bungee above the d-ring will keep the controls in place and allow you to raise the end to vent. I run the inflator hose through it but not the corrugated hose so it will slide if I raise it. The bungee is high enough that it will not accidentally uncouple the inflator hose.
I've got a new BP/W package that has a rubber ring next to the left shoulder D-ring and I didn't know how to use it. Now I do! Thank you!

Not sure if the shoulder D-ring is the best point of reference since it can be moved up or down too.
There exists an optimal position for D-ring placement, in reference to divers bent elbow. Achim shows and tells best...starting at 4:25.

There is a hogarthian way to put the d-ring on the shoulders.

Usually if you do this, then you also add a loop to hold the inflator at the same place.

Then when you assemble, you pass the inflator and hose through this loop to keep the inflator accessible.

If you do this and pull slightly on the inflator when assembling it should always be at reach over the left shoulder d-ring but never in the way.

Personally I don’t think it’s a bit deal if you prefer a longer inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom