BP/W with more than normal ways to get rid of air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a DRIS 27lb donut wing with a reasonable sized LP inflator and a single dump in the left rear. I've even busted off the pull knob and knotted the string. I've even removed (well actually 50Fathom did but that's another story) the mouth piece from the manual inflation thing.... so safe to say, I've drunken from the kool aid pitcher.

That said, I'll play the devils advocate here:

I do kind of miss having a pull dump on the inflator hose.

There, I said it. Sure I can dip down and dump from the bottom or pitch up a little bit and dump from the top....

But were the pull dumps really *THAT* dangerous? I yanked on mine for 6 years and never had it fall apart on me.

Now excuse me while I go put my flame suit on...

Really like the BP/W but have noticed that it's sometimes hard to get rid of air and find myself whishing I had more dump valves. I know dump valves are basically considered something of a place to get caught on things. My thing is that I'm more worried about having more dump valves. Given that... is there a W with more dumps than others? Given my wants... what would you recommend. Given all things the same... would you recommend a donut or a horseshoe? Seems like a donut would be better from what I've found but want some good advice. Thanks!!!! I bought a used Apex on here and find I need to roll to the side to get decent air dump. Really wish I could be more balanced and get the same dump.
I am not saying this is the case here, but I do see students and other divers who comment that they can not get the gas out of the wing fast enough. Is that what you mean by a "decent air dump"? Usually when I see this it is more of a training/skill/experience issue then equipment or design issue. When using a balanced rig and making slow, controlled ascents, venting gas from your wing should in small amounts. Often venting just before it becomes necessary to offset increased buoyancy and slowing the rate of ascent fixes this problem.

I am not saying this is the case here, but I do see students and other divers who comment that they can not get the gas out of the wing fast enough. Is that what you mean by a "decent air dump"? Usually when I see this it is more of a training/skill/experience issue then equipment or design issue. When using a balanced rig and making slow, controlled ascents, venting gas from your wing should in small amounts. Often venting just before it becomes necessary to offset increased buoyancy and slowing the rate of ascent fixes this problem.

Maybe this is more about divers with poor trim, trying to use the rear dump, but being at a 30 to 45 degree angle head-up and feet down....the dump will not work as intended, in bad trim....So many divers look like they are almost in a jogging position as they swim along a reef...this could be the issue.

A properly designed OPV/dump isn't an much of an entanglement hazard, but it is one more thing on the wing to fail and leave you scrambling for buoyancy elsewhere (assuming you have redundant buoyancy). I'm unaware of anyone who would add an OPV to a wing. As already noted at length, if you're reasonably horizontal and using the dump correctly, then you should be venting unless you're trying to get out some tiny bit of air and/or your wing is too big for your tank(s).

Dump design makes a difference in how easy they are to use, too, and I'm no fan of the Apeks OPV (or the H design for that matter). I have DSS OPVs with the thick pull cord on my wings and don't have to pull them in any special direction: grasp cord, slide fingers down it to the "crown" of the OPV, squeeze/pull cord by pushing off the OPV itself. No stress on the wing/OPV connection, no angle on the OPV cord, and I can feel how much air I'm blowing out as it rushes over my fingers. Love those things.

I use the rear dump often but I also like the convenience of my pull dump. Now there are at least two of us to be flamed :D

I remember being told when I was doing Fundies that the rear, or butt dump valve on the H wing was designed to dump air faster than an inflator valve could add air, in case of a valve failure. I never tested this theory personally, but that butt dump sure does work so well that you need to develop a "touch" to avoid playing "dump and pump".
It's a skill. You play with it till you develop the "feel" for "just a touch" in a simlar way to adding air to the bladder for just a tiny adjustment.

So you ascend up the anchor line in a head down position.... ;-)

No, as eelnora said, I pretty much stay in horizontal trim the whole dive, whether ascending or descending.

It's not necessary to be head down to use the butt dump, except for initial descent after a positive entry when I'll do a 'duck dive' to get under (or use the inflator dump)

Back
Top Bottom