Bpw setup for Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Thinking ahead here, so I don’t have a specific GUE instructor to ask yet.

According to the GUE website,

The GUE base equipment configuration is comprised of:

Backplate system:

Should be held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing should be adjustable and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist.

Is it possible, for example, to have “one piece of continuous webbing” with a sternum strap? I know it’s a failure point but...

Just wondering if anyone was allowed minor gear modifications for Fundies. I doubt it but thought I’d ask anyway.

Last edited:
Should be held to the diver by one continuous piece of webbing. This webbing should be adjustable and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist.

is there such a system using one continuous piece of webbing that is not adjustable?

Is it possible, for example, to have “one piece of continuous webbing” with a sternum strap? .

No, but it'd be funny to watch someone try.

No, but it'd be funny to watch someone try.

What do you mean? I had a sternum strap on mine for a while. Yes, with one continuous piece of webbing for the harness (except the sternum strap, of course). I eventually took it off after I finally got my harness adjusted to fit me correctly (which ended up a lot more loose than what I thought was correct at first).

As for using one for Fundies, I suspect it would ultimately come down to the individual instructor. My impression is that (generally speaking) some GUE instructors are very dogmatic and others are more "if you NEED it, then you can use it." My suspicion is what I think @tbone1004 is alluding to, which is that, if not sooner, when @Dogbowl starts working with an instructor he/she is going to find out that the sternum strap is actually not needed at all.

What do you mean? I had a sternum strap on mine for a while. Yes, with one continuous piece of webbing for the harness (except the sternum strap, of course)..

That's what I mean...

My sternum strap worked fine. I let the shoulder straps run where they naturally wanted to, so they still laid flat. The sternum strap just kept them from shifting off either side.

But, once I figured out that I didn't need the sternum strap, I ditched it. Just like I would ditch any other piece of kit I didn't need. :)

Personally, I do appreciate my sternum strap every time I have to haul my gear more than a couple thousand feet on land.

Personally, I do appreciate my sternum strap every time I have to haul my gear more than a couple thousand feet on land.

Gack! That sounds awful! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom