Bpw setup for Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently a Fundies student (right now in between my first and second weekend).
I have the same impression as @stuartv , it comes down to the individual instructor. Some are more dogmatic than others. All Fundies materials state: "Ask your instructor before you buy any new equipment!" and all GUE instructors will be happy to answer questions regarding configuration.
I can already predict the answer. That is you should not need a sternum strap with a correctly adjusted harness. Adjusting the harness is one of the first things done during Fundies :)

The main reason to take GUE Fundamentals should be learning to dive GUE way. One important part of it is GUE's rather strict equipment configuration. I would borrow or buy exactly GUE compliant equipment for your Fundies course and change it only after the course (If you still want to). GUE is quite dogmatic, and that style may not suit everybody (me included). Still I think anyone who decides to enroll GUE Fundamentals should try to do things 100% GUE style at least until they pass the course...

If you buy a new harness for Fundies, I can recommend Halcyon. The soft webbing is quite nice and H markings make it easier to make controlled symmetric adjustments.

Personally, I do appreciate my sternum strap every time I have to haul my gear more than a couple thousand feet on land.

if I was regularly hiking that much, I would use a cart if you could. If you have to carry it, then that's a justification for a transplate/transpac which was literally designed for hiking with tanks.
The single piece is great for normal diving. Off of boats, relatively short treks to the water, but if you have to hike with your gear on, then something like the transplate or transpac is really what you should be looking at to transfer that weight to your hips instead of your back

If you buy a new harness for Fundies, I can recommend Halcyon. The soft webbing is quite nice and H markings make it easier to make controlled symmetric adjustments.

My body is not symmetrical. Are you sure yours is? :)

Anyway, I like stiff webbing for shoulder straps and waist belt. I think it makes donning and doffing a bit easier.

The gear requirements for Fundies can seem rather strict, it's not specific to any brand though. It more about appropriate types of a reputable quality gear. The basic idea is gear you can depend on and not have replace as your diving progresses.

If you are going for a tech pass vs a rec pass the skill and gear requirements are stricter as you will need better performance from yourself and your gear as you progress. There is an abundance of quality gear to be had these days from several manufacturers.

My body is not symmetrical. Are you sure yours is? :)

Mine is symmetrical enough that I have my harness set up symmetrically. H webbing is quite good medium stiffness. Try Xdeep webbing, that is stiff. So stiff that it is difficult to adjust. During the course it is nice to have webbing that is easy to adjust without a tape measure. Honestly I changed Halcyon webbing also to my xdeep alu backplate for this reason.
Otherwise I am not a fan of Halcyon equipment. Most of the time it is just a markup.

I use the generic DGX webbing. It is also pretty stiff. A definite PITA to adjust. Fortunately, get it right once and done.

It's worth (to me, anyway) taking some careful measurements and writing them down when it comes time to replace the webbing or change anything that requires unthreading parts. Put in new webbing and set the lengths the same instead of going through all that hassle again!

@stuartv use a fabric pen and mark where the d-rings all are before you remove the webbing or adjust something. When you have to replace the webbing, everything will come off and you lay the two pieces of webbing next to each other and mark the new webbing. Thread back in and your stuff is where it was. No measuring required

It's worth (to me, anyway) taking some careful measurements and writing them down when it comes time to replace the webbing or change anything that requires unthreading parts. Put in new webbing and set the lengths the same instead of going through all that hassle again!

I like to use tailor's chalk to mark my webbing before I unthread my harness for any reason. I can mark where it passes through the back plate and where the D-rings and buckle are located. I can transfer the marks to new webbing to ensure everything is threaded identical to what I had before. It is water soluble, so should disappear after a dive or if sprayed down with hose.

Tailor's Chalk By Loops & Threads™

-Z

@Dogbowl I highly doubt it

that said, why do you think you need one?

If you recall this thread from over a year ago, it will explain why:

BP/W with one piece harness NOT for everyone

We’ve since purchased the Transpac XT for our regular diving. And a Biolite.

Back then, I always intended to take Fundies. Now, it’s starting to be within reach. My husband/buddy has even agreed to it, which is a feat in itself. But his shoulders haven’t changed and the straps will still slip off. And it’s horribly uncomfortable for him to keep the straps up by shrugging his shoulders. Please don’t try to convince me it’s not a problem or it’s user error. It’s not (user error).

So, in that thread above, several posters suggested adding a sternum strap, which makes sense to me. As I was researching sternum straps, I ran into one post from @Jim Lapenta , where he recommended the Hog triglide. I didn’t think much of it then, because I could just buy a bcd with a sternum strap already attached, but now I think it’s ingenious. Here’s what he said:

A few years ago I would have argued with the OP on this. Now, after having set up a number of custom harnesses for students and customers I agree. I have revised my BPW article for my new book to reflect this. Some people are just not built for a standard one piece harness. I make custom plates to allow divers to convert their one piece under the arms harness to an "H" configuration similar to some sidemount rigs out there.
When HOG asked me to help with their new comfort harness I made hardware prototypes and had input on the overall design. It came out really nice and I enjoy diving it.
Below is a picture of it with the new softpack but it can also be used on a standard plate. As seen below with a 23 or 32lb wing and set of weight pockets it's under 450 MAP.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/hog-0521-hog-flex-deluxe-harness-2-jpg.382599/

HOG 2in Tech Triglide with Fixed D-Ring

Dive Rite Chest Strap, Replacement

I think I can add a Dive Rite sternum strap via a Hog triglide to a one piece harness. That will solve my buddy’s problem and it’s STILL a one piece continuous harness! So just wondering what the GUE instructors think of that.

Last edited:
As for using one for Fundies, I suspect it would ultimately come down to the individual instructor. My impression is that (generally speaking) some GUE instructors are very dogmatic and others are more "if you NEED it, then you can use it." My suspicion is what I think @tbone1004 is alluding to, which is that, if not sooner, when @Dogbowl starts working with an instructor he/she is going to find out that the sternum strap is actually not needed at all.

I would really like to see this happen so I can stop making all these DIY adjustments to gear.

@stuartv correct. more importantly, they don't really work well with a one piece harness, you need something like the DR deluxe harness to make them work properly

I’m thinking this might be the case.

I am currently a Fundies student (right now in between my first and second weekend).
I have the same impression as @stuartv , it comes down to the individual instructor. Some are more dogmatic than others. All Fundies materials state: "Ask your instructor before you buy any new equipment!" and all GUE instructors will be happy to answer questions regarding configuration.
I can already predict the answer. That is you should not need a sternum strap with a correctly adjusted harness. Adjusting the harness is one of the first things done during Fundies :)

The main reason to take GUE Fundamentals should be learning to dive GUE way. One important part of it is GUE's rather strict equipment configuration. I would borrow or buy exactly GUE compliant equipment for your Fundies course and change it only after the course (If you still want to). GUE is quite dogmatic, and that style may not suit everybody (me included). Still I think anyone who decides to enroll GUE Fundamentals should try to do things 100% GUE style at least until they pass the course...

I agree. If I’m going to take Fundies, I should accept it’s philosophy totally. And even my husband has agreed to this, but we’re talking about a physical “impairment”, not something he can overcome. I would be very sad if I cannot take Fundies with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom