Brand new dive site damaged by fishing trawler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone tried attaching limpet mines to the boats that would enter such waters?

Not yet.
But I think it would be a wonderful project and I would like to volunteer. I do need mines though. Any idea on how/where to get those?

They should allow big dive boats to fit a big gun on the front, with a license to sink any trawler that comes within range on a dive site. Far more sporting and all the divers can get a shot! We'd have great fun out at Shark Point, and so many new wrecks!

"Strong currents had caused further damage".... just wait until the westerlies really get going... many people round here reckon there won't be much left by next high season. There will be repeated mutterings of "told you so".

I doubt if the helicopter blade was taken as a souvenir by scuba divers. I think it's more likely someone made a few extra Baht with selling it as scrap metal....

Again I am not saying I agree with this type of occurance, but if that is the case in a round about way there was a positive outcome for the guy who sold it, and at least it will be recycled.
But can someone enlighten me what positive outcome Mermaids in Pattaya get from their daily littering of the sea bed?

They should allow big dive boats to fit a big gun on the front, with a license to sink any trawler that comes within range on a dive site. Far more sporting and all the divers can get a shot! We'd have great fun out at Shark Point, and so many new wrecks!

Does that also include sinking other dive boats?? Now that would be fun.

Again I am not saying I agree with this type of occurance, but if that is the case in a round about way there was a positive outcome for the guy who sold it, and at least it will be recycled.

I think what will happen in the near future is this:
1: The planes and choppers will fall apart. (maybe this "green" season)
2: Locals will dive and pick up the pieces and sell it.
3: The TDA will scream, shout and point fingers for a while.
4: Life will go on.

A tidy boat?

They cant even keep a tidy boat, it was anything but tidy when I last dived with them.
But on to a more serious note, and this not only applies to mermaids, it is a number of operations in the area, but maybe they are more noticeable because they generally have more passengers than the other boats.
Why every day do they have to litter the seabed with chicken bones, is it too much trouble to provide a bin and ask their passengers to use it.

Why every day do they have to litter the seabed with chicken bones, is it too much trouble to provide a bin and ask their passengers to use it.

It's fairly common practice on dive and tour boats (even in Phuket!) to ditch food scraps over the side. It keeps flies and other unwelcome creatures better at bay and prevents a "smelly" boat too.
Food scraps are generally non-toxic and will eventually be eaten by marine-life, even chicken bones.

Back
Top Bottom