Brand new HP100 air fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apenland01

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got my brand new HP100 tanks filled and they are both filled to 200 bar, which looks to be about 2800 psi. It only took 20 minutes, so I'm guessing it was filled to 3400 and cooled off to 2800? These are my first HP tanks, so not sure if it's store policy to only fill to 2800 or if it cooled and lost that much volume. I didn't have my gauge with me at the store, so I tested once I got home.

I never thought to ask while I was there what they were filled to. It only took 20 minutes, so it was a fill and leave kind of deal....

IMG-5128.jpg

Take it back and ask politely for a top off to this short fill. If for some reason the shop can't an HP tank then find another shop that can.

Also, it does not hurt to write in a big sharpie the Fill Pressure (3400) right under the valve. I have some 2000 PSI tanks and the would always be overfilled if I didn't write it down.

Always check your tank pressure and analyze the mix before leaving the shop. Mistakes do get made.

That’s par for the course (in my experience) with places that fill mostly aluminum tanks.

20 minutes to fill and go? That’s about what you’re going to end up with after a hot fill.

Sometimes you have to tell shops that you aren't in a hurry, I had a recent fill at a local shop, I could hear that it was screaming fast.

Better if you can drop it off and have them fill it ultra slow and top it off.

That’s par for the course (in my experience) with places that fill mostly aluminum tanks.

20 minutes to fill and go? That’s about what you’re going to end up with after a hot fill.
20 minutes is plenty of time to get a proper fill. Good shops fill to 3600-3700 warm knowing it will cool to 3300-3400.

One shop I occasionally use just slams the tank to 4000 quickly and you get 3400-3500 cool, no problem with that.

20 minutes is plenty of time to get a proper fill. Good shops fill to 3600-3700 warm knowing it will cool to 3300-3400.

Or they could just be lazy and fill it to ~3,000 like every other tank they deal with that day.

I just got my brand new HP100 tanks filled and they are both filled to 200 bar, which looks to be about 2800 psi. It only took 20 minutes, so I'm guessing it was filled to 3400 and cooled off to 2800? These are my first HP tanks, so not sure if it's store policy to only fill to 2800 or if it cooled and lost that much volume. I didn't have my gauge with me at the store, so I tested once I got home.

I never thought to ask while I was there what they were filled to. It only took 20 minutes, so it was a fill and leave kind of deal....

View attachment 633645

The shop should have a gauge. If the shop gets testy when you tell them you want to check the fill, that's not a good sign. Make sure to tell them it's a HP tank the next time go you for fills and point the 3442 out to them on the tank itself.

Best way to get tanks filled with least trouble to you is drop them off on your lunch hour, if possible, and pick them up after work. Tanks get filled, and then topped off after they've cooled down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom