brand spanking new 5050 ... with a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, I finally sucked it up and went digital. Bought the Olympus 5050 based upon some of the comments and reviews on this board.

I'm curious if this is a problem, and if not, what's going on. When I turn on the monitor, there's a spot (maybe just a pixel?) that's an unusual bright red. It's towards the bottom right corner. Is this bad, a sign that the monitor is going?

This is my first digital anything, don't even have a DVD player, so all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

eab:
Well, I finally sucked it up and went digital. Bought the Olympus 5050 based upon some of the comments and reviews on this board.

I'm curious if this is a problem, and if not, what's going on. When I turn on the monitor, there's a spot (maybe just a pixel?) that's an unusual bright red. It's towards the bottom right corner. Is this bad, a sign that the monitor is going?

This is my first digital anything, don't even have a DVD player, so all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
yup "defective" display... most manufacturers have a minimum # of bad pixels before they consider it defective.. The same happens with laptop computers...

Geeze. Right out of the box. You would think that I'd at least have a chance to use it first.

Thanks.

I purchased it off the internet, but a call to ask takes no time at all. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Isn't there something called mapping or remapping the monitor? Seems like I remember reading about it in the manual. You might try that to see if that pixel will 'reset'.

Thanks for the hint, but the pixel mapping didn't work.

The vendor said for 3 dead pixels upon arrival, I should send it back. So bye-bye to the new toy for a while.

Good deal. I know it's hard to turn loose of a new toy but you'll be glad you did!

I have a couple of spots on mine as well. I think the pics are ok. I was thinking about calling them. I don't really want to give up my camera though. Is it something that will get worse over time?? deb

My friends joke that I'm Amish -- no dvd player, still using analog cable, my tv is about 15 years old, etc. So even in the 24 hours that the camera was in my house, I didn't bond with it. In fact, I even debated telling 'em to keep it!

The oddest part is that I write software components for a living. Doesn't seen to jibe, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom