Brass and Glass Corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaduced

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my last dive trip, I noticed a small gas leak from the swivel on my SPG hose. I just removed the hose and there is some corrosion in the brass and glass gauge stem. Does anyone have a clever way to remove the corrosion, without damaging the swivel sealing surface inside of the stem?

A couple options but you do not want to run any solution up into the gauge - not catastrophic but at least minimize any intrusion. If you have access, use an ultrasonic cleaner with about 1/2 inch of 50/50 vinegar and water. Allow the solution to penetrate into the area of the sealing surface and run it for about a minute. Neutralize with a bit of water & baking powder mixed. Dry it out, lub it, and it should be good to go. If you don't have access to the US cleaner, then just use a dish of the same solution and extend the treatment to 3 to 5 minutes.

That is one of the connections that makes me soak my regs 6 to 8 hours or more. SW gets into that unprotected threaded connection and does not rinse out.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.

That is one of the connections that makes me soak my regs 6 to 8 hours or more. SW gets into that unprotected threaded connection and does not rinse out.

The leak was caused by salt crystals building up in the o-ring groove of the swivel and damaging the o-ring. I didn't realize water could get into that area of the swivel. I'm going to start soaking gauges, especially the swivels, a lot longer.

That corrosion kills gauges fast in my part of the world (tropics). I have found putting way too much silicone (Or Tribolube) on both the threads and the swivel to be one only effective way to slow it down, since as you have noticed seawater otherwise has access. Lubing the threads acts as a physical barrier.

the old HP swivels were better at keeper out gunk, and keeping out corrosion from the O-Ring but they would also end up corrosion welding themselves to the mating surfaces eventually. Most gauge makers switched to the smaller shouldered HP swivels with the centerplate but they can throw the o-rings off the reduced shoulder (usually on the expensive gauge side, and are far less effective at protecting the O-ring structurally. Before the swivels would weld themselves into place from corrosion and the gauge would die, now the swivel can always be removed but you can end up with a dechromed O-ring interface area inside the gauge which leaves the gauge useless anyway.

(Keeping rental fleets running in the tropics taught me that big vats of storage water, with just the right amount of vinegar to soak away daily corrosion overnight every night is the surest way to protect gear long term gear loss from corrosion. We kept a 30 gallon storage tub with a couple of squirts from a squeeze bottle of vinegar that the gear lived in overnight. It stopped corrosion from ever happening, and made gear overhauls ridiculously easy. I tried in with just plain water, but the daily dose of salt from the gear would turn the soak tub into a mild saltwater bath. Just the right amount of vinegar meant the rinse tub (which was emptied and refilled with fresh water with a dash of vinegar once or twice a week) would start slightly vinegary, and end slightly salty without ever being too much of anything.

And the gear always looked 'brand new' without the surface corrosion dulling the surfaces. It is probably not ideal for soft plastic bits, but the plastic and rubber bits are always much cheaper to replace than a dechromed piece of brass, replacement of which is which is usually expensive enough to make gear disposable rather than fixable.

Suppose I'm up for a real hefty bill replacing all my useless
de - chromed piston regs if I listen to some of this garbage

and if there's still room all my internally syringed spgs also

I have a pile of garbage that is nothing but dechromed brass regs. You want to pay the freight to Australia, I will ship you a bunch of nice brass paperweight that look like regs, but don't work like them. O-Rings don't seal on dechromed brass.

Dive operations toss dechromed brass regs all the time. Of course dive operations use all their regs all day every day. Which is why I talked about the dive operations and what we did to try and minimize that, because I have experience with it. Of course the OP was also talking about his experience with corrosion as well, and asking about it. If you don't have problems with corrosion, then you don't. But then again it's curious that you would even enter a thread where people are asking about corrosion in that case.

But you did score some valuable internet points redeemable for prizes at local stores everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom