brass SPG reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Brass & Glass" spgs are great.

I use a HOG brass & glass SPG.

I'm a big "HOG" fan because of their quality, pricing, and most of all, good customer support.

Best wishes.

i like this spg it was the one i was looking into but i was wondering does it glow in the dark? and if not is this a feature you wish it had?

p.s. sorry for double posting

Brass and glass, or rubber boot and plastic lens; they all beat what we first dived with, which was no SPG at all and a J valve on your tank, which you hoped still was on reserve when it got hard to breath! Just switched to HOG brass and glass, myself, but I'm not all that picky, any SPG beats none at all!

In my experience, SPGs take far more abuse on the surface than in the water. Probably the worst is diving from a rubber boat when your gear ends up on the bottom of the pile. No boot will keep the face from getting crushed, but affords some impact protection to the relatively delicate Bourdon tube inside. If you baby your gear, an SPG boot is less likely to matter. If you can't always protect the instrument, a resilient boot will absorb energy that can cause internal damage.

SPGs didn't have boots for first the 15-20 years on the market. I understood that boots were added by manufacturers to reduce damage in shipping since defective product returns were costing more than the boots. However, this may be an urban legend and it was just added for aesthetics.

I have two 30+ year old SPGs that I still use and are accurate within 2½%. I am not especially nice to my gear so I have kept boots on these gauges. It is a tough call to definitively say that they would be just as good without the boots. My take is: don’t use them if they annoy you and leave them on if they don't.

In my experience, SPGs take far more abuse on the surface than in the water. Probably the worst is diving from a rubber boat when your gear ends up on the bottom of the pile. No boot will keep the face from getting crushed, but affords some impact protection to the relatively delicate Bourdon tube inside. If you baby your gear, an SPG boot is less likely to matter. If you can't always protect the instrument, a resilient boot will absorb energy that can cause internal damage.

SPGs didn't have boots for first the 15-20 years on the market. I understood that boots were added by manufacturers to reduce damage in shipping since defective product returns were costing more than the boots. However, this may be an urban legend and it was just added for aesthetics.

I have two 30+ year old SPGs that I still use and are accurate within 2½%. I am not especially nice to my gear so I have kept boots on these gauges. It is a tough call to definitively say that they would be just as good without the boots. My take is: don’t use them if they annoy you and leave them on if they don't.

I agree, brass spgs are some of the best pieces of gear one can get. They last and last and last! No low batt or lost signal issues from transmitters for example but make sure you get the kind with mineral glass not plastic as plastic is more affected by temperature changes, are more easily scratched n get foggy over time.

But these fellers do a pretty good job too Aqualung Non Magnetic SPG.jpg got a couple from military ccr units.

SangP

Last edited:
Brass and glass SPGs are usually the choice of tech divers. I prefer them myself (although I did make the mistake once of not tethering mine properly and set my tank on top of the SPG breaking the glass).

....avoid plastic lenses...they're fragile and will scratch if you so much as give your SPG a dirty look!

Brass and glass SPGs are usually the choice of tech divers. I prefer them myself (although I did make the mistake once of not tethering mine properly and set my tank on top of the SPG breaking the glass).

I mount mine with a shorter hose so when it's on the tank it's too short to get under it.

i like this spg it was the one i was looking into but i was wondering does it glow in the dark? and if not is this a feature you wish it had?

p.s. sorry for double posting

they glow in the dark.

I was looking into a single naked brass and glass SPG as my one and only pressure gauge on my new recreational rig. Is this considered good practice?? i have my computer mounted on my wrist but it is not air integrated....so i was wondering is the stand alone brass spg reliable and durable enough to be my only pressure gauge or should i instead get one of the more traditional ones that are in a boot and come with the hose already attatched, these seem to be pretty durable...?

The one that hog makes glows in the dark:shocked2:And is under $60.00 nice set up. I love mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom