brass SPG reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was looking into a single naked brass and glass SPG as my one and only pressure gauge on my new recreational rig. Is this considered good practice?? i have my computer mounted on my wrist but it is not air integrated....so i was wondering is the stand alone brass spg reliable and durable enough to be my only pressure gauge or should i instead get one of the more traditional ones that are in a boot and come with the hose already attatched, these seem to be pretty durable...?

I have brass and glass SPG's with no boot that I have used over a decade that are still fine. Just have to service the HP spool (actually I replace it) every year or so.

The boot may protect against a blow, but also will introduce corrosion...so there is always a trade off.

My last lasted all 3 dives, must have been some Monday piece. No, i did not bang it to any place.

IMG_0003.JPG

My last lasted all 3 dives, must have been some Monday piece. No, i did not bang it to any place.

IMG_0003.JPG

was it darn cold that day?

The face on your gauge is plastic, it's not a brass and glass unit.

"Brass & Glass" spgs are great.

I use a HOG brass & glass SPG.

I'm a big "HOG" fan because of their quality, pricing, and most of all, good customer support.

Best wishes.

IMG_0003.JPG

That is a plastic lens, not glass. The glass lens is unlikely to have shattered like that.

N

B&G is easier to read long term. The cheap POS like in the picture have convex plastic lenses. The combination leads to lots of scratching and makes it difficult to see, especially for old farts like me. I prefer the ones with PSI and BAR so I don't have to convert units.The simple elegance of a single well made gauge is hard to beat.

was it darn cold that day?

The face on your gauge is plastic, it's not a brass and glass unit.

Actually my last dive was in the pool with that SPG. and its really mystery to myself why that happened... Yeah, the face is plastic...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom