breakers reef question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also a big mess of rope haphazardly strung across the reef on 4th Windows (I believe - could be 2nd Window), in addition to the communications cable. First saw it right after Frances and Jeanne, never have found anyone that knows exactly where it came from.

pics from saturday's dive with abernethy
the water was much clearer and the reef much more colorful than in these pics but whatever :p

rope.JPG

this is clearly rope

rope1.JPG

maybe this is the comm cable?
I thought they were just part of the same big piece of rope

What was it made of?

Weren't they doing some "beach renourishment" in that area. It could be the cable used to pull barges.

MantaRey:
What was it made of?

Weren't they doing some "beach renourishment" in that area. It could be the cable used to pull barges.

i didn't look closely but the first one was clearly just a really thick regular rope.
the other one you could actually swim under if you wanted but I didn't go over and look at it so it might have been a cable. it was encrusted with corals and whatnot

it's the second time I've come across it. if it's just rope someone should clean it up

The first picture shows a section of thick rope that was apparenty blown on to Breakers reef after one of the hurricanes last year. It just appeared after the hurricane. I can't remember which hurricane it was. The same area of Breakers was also covered with hundreds of golf balls, which have since been grabbed up by divers.
The second picture is one of the phone cables that run to the Bahamas. They have been down there ever since I can remember, but I don't know if they are still operational.
DMdoogie

DMdoogie:
The first picture shows a section of thick rope that was apparenty blown on to Breakers reef after one of the hurricanes last year. It just appeared after the hurricane. I can't remember which hurricane it was. The same area of Breakers was also covered with hundreds of golf balls, which have since been grabbed up by divers.
The second picture is one of the phone cables that run to the Bahamas. They have been down there ever since I can remember, but I don't know if they are still operational.
DMdoogie

oh ok
I thought that thing was just more rope
I knew someone here would know

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom