Breaking 200 Ft.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Freediving, my friend told me the did while we were away.

I really don't know what to think about that.

My reaction is different than it was for 160 ft

Now I am thinking "I hope you don't die" "I can't shoot you that deep" "at what point will you be satisfied?" "are you nuts?" "I admire you so much, that is awesome?

Thoughts about the psychology of this?

I like to freedive and I think it is about personal limits- getting to the point where you know you are as good as you will get. In some sense, finding the edge of your world.

At some point, the risk becomes unreasonable and you either have to compensate for that- add support divers, seek professional training, get a lower volume mask :wink: - or not do the dive.

If your friend can hit 200'- that's great for him. It sounds too deep for you, but everyone draws the line between danger and safety a little differently.

I can hit 80' with no formal training. I've had the chance to try for 100' or even 120', but I passed since I want to get formal training before I start going deeper. These depths might just be warm up dives for someone who can dive to 200', but they are too risky for my taste.

As far as your friend, just tell him that your grandma used to dive to 250' after swimming 8 miles to get offshore. :wink:

lol

hey what is the record for unassisted, anybody know?

yes, it is unsettling to me for some reason.

I wonder what the stats are for bad outcomes?

over 200

I know they are taking it seriously and spotting, have 02, anyway.

As far as your friend, just tell him that your grandma used to dive to 250' after swimming 8 miles to get offshore. :wink:
In 9' head-on waves of course! And against currents, obviously..

with no fins and pneumonia. In January!

Freediving, my friend told me the did while we were away.

I really don't know what to think about that.

My reaction is different than it was for 160 ft

Now I am thinking "I hope you don't die" "I can't shoot you that deep" "at what point will you be satisfied?" "are you nuts?" "I admire you so much, that is awesome?

Thoughts about the psychology of this?

While I'm impressed by the ability to free dive to that depth, I wonder, "what's the point?" Is it bragging rights? I love free diving because it is so....free. OTOH, I don't dive deep. I make shallow dives. I enjoy looking around, swimming up to fish with no bubbles to frighten them away. In order to actually enjoy my time at the bottom, I have to limit my depth to something that doesn't push my limits. I don't have answers, just more questions, sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom