Breaking 200 Ft.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez, I think 200' is deep enough on SCUBA. I'd never even consider free diving to those depths. Of course with my aged lungs, I'd be lucky to make 50 feet.

Bill, I just had three hours with my guru physician (UCSD) in La Jolla yesterday. He is working on a big project with brain waves, sensory deprivation and manipulating vitals with light shows, music, etc. He will be opening a wellness type center in the desert where they will be treating people with parasympathetic manipulation, supplements, bioidentical hormones, etc. He can drop his HR 30 points with his breath----BP too. (He is a closet mainstream MD, very well respected but has this "secret practice")

I left truly inspired. He blessed my health program, made suggestions, had many questions (I am sure he knew the answers) about diving and the gravity free environment, employing the breath, etc.

Now, I can endure another six months of mainstream docs telling me I am a fruitcake....

Biofeedback is a thrilling new frontier in health! I am prepared to get serious learning more.

Oh---Kurt made the cover of H Skin Diver again, that uber media slut. I am keeping my eye on these kids for some amazement. I think the doc needs to monitor his HR/ brain waves---I know, I know the Navy does "it all" but they have a totally different agenda. This physician in La Jolla is way out of the box with the implications.... I am just happy somebody is spending some time thinking about more than the next blockbuster drug for sale.

Bill, I just had three hours with my guru physician (UCSD) in La Jolla yesterday. He is working on a big project with brain waves, sensory deprivation and manipulating vitals with light shows, music, etc. He will be opening a wellness type center in the desert where they will be treating people with parasympathetic manipulation, supplements, bioidentical hormones, etc. He can drop his HR 30 points with his breath----BP too. (He is a closet mainstream MD, very well respected but has this "secret practice")

I left truly inspired. He blessed my health program, made suggestions, had many questions (I am sure he knew the answers) about diving and the gravity free environment, employing the breath, etc.

Now, I can endure another six months of mainstream docs telling me I am a fruitcake....

Biofeedback is a thrilling new frontier in health! I am prepared to get serious learning more.

Oh---Kurt made the cover of H Skin Diver again, that uber media slut. I am keeping my eye on these kids for some amazement. I think the doc needs to monitor his HR/ brain waves---I know, I know the Navy does "it all" but they have a totally different agenda. This physician in La Jolla is way out of the box with the implications.... I am just happy somebody is spending some time thinking about more than the next blockbuster drug for sale.

Great post catherine!
I was playing with my heart rate monitor this past summer and became routinely able to bring my heart rate from the 120's down to the low 40's within a ten second period. It was elevated from a tensed breath-hold and lowered through relaxed exhalation (along with a couple other tricks). By the way, I have been using biofeedback for several years and utilizing it in my freediving clinics. Have been a biofeedback advocate for quite some time...great to see some more mention of it here!

ahh, this thread brings back memories- I used to combnie meditation and biofeedback. It is pretty neat stuff. I've also seen it used as a tool for teaching deaf people how to inflect their words since they can't hear it.

Have been a biofeedback advocate for quite some time...great to see some more mention of it here!

The implications for treating pre-hypertension, along with diet and exercise are really exciting to me. I must admit, I am almost addicted to my HR monitor, because I can see what brings my rate up and down and playing with it by mentally thinking it one direction or another.....using breath, it is very entertaining.

But Darlin', you are a fruitcake.
I think JB is "over it"---me going on and on, asking him his HR, taking my BP, he he.

I've also seen it used as a tool for teaching deaf people how to inflect their words since they can't hear it.
how?

The person is deaf, but not blind, so they are shown a waveform of their voice and a waveform of the target sound. They simply repeat the word and try to get the pcitures to match.

The implications for treating pre-hypertension, along with diet and exercise are really exciting to me. I must admit, I am almost addicted to my HR monitor, because I can see what brings my rate up and down and playing with it by mentally thinking it one direction or another.....using breath, it is very entertaining.
Another thing that you will notice is that your heart rate increases on the inhale and decreases on the exhale. There's probably some biological reason for it, but you can also use that to manipulate your heart rate. If you are really still, you can feel your heartbeat and you won't need the heartrate monitor. :D

yes, I think it is due to stimulation of the parasympathetic "brakes" of the nervous system. have you seen "Respirate" Andrew Weil MD is hawking?

The other thing I am playing with (really nuts) is guessing my hydration status to the half pound. why? I have no idea.

Except when filling pressures drop, my HR goes up, I'm pretty sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom