Breaking 200 Ft.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a bit of data from suunto's site on records from the individual world competition last november:
no fins record mens: 77 meters = 252+ feet!!
no fins record womens: 50 meters = 164+ feet!
crazy...

Constant Weight Without Fins, Men, November 3rd:
GOLD Herbert NITCH (AUT), 77 metres, 77 points
SILVER William WINRAM (CAN), 75 metres, 75 points
BRONZE Alexey MOLCHANOV (RUS), 65 metres, 65 points

Constant Weight Without Fins, Women, November 3rd:
GOLD Jarmila SLOVENCIKOVA (CZE), 50 metres, 50 points
SILVER Susanna SAARI (FIN), 40 metres, 40 points
BRONZE Anna VON BOETTICHER (GER), 38 metres, 38 points

oh, thanks! I think they have a decent chance at the American record.

I think it´s cool!
Who really cares why they do it(except if you know them), just admire the accomplishment and move on?!
I whish I could freedive to 200ft, I just admire the grace of the freedivers I see, like a sharp knife cutting thru the water...

While I'm impressed by the ability to free dive to that depth, I wonder, "what's the point?" Is it bragging rights? I love free diving because it is so....free. OTOH, I don't dive deep. I make shallow dives. I enjoy looking around, swimming up to fish with no bubbles to frighten them away. In order to actually enjoy my time at the bottom, I have to limit my depth to something that doesn't push my limits. I don't have answers, just more questions, sorry.
I wish I could do 200, I can manage about half that on a good day ... but it's enough to get the thrill, to look down and see the flaps of skin on your chest, to start up and listen to the whistle of air as it rushes back into your sinus passages. It's a trip ... a real high. More power to him.

Just an update...

Both of these guys exceeded the American depth record at the Kona competition and both blacked out. One around 10 meters....

They say they had excellent spotters, etc. I think they hit 167 ft. in the no fins.

I am new to this thread, and am posting for the first time.
My name is Scott McClarin (AKA: TBGSUB)
I Freedive/Spearfish/UW freedive Photography and have been doing so only for the last two years every weekend in Saipan, which Is why I posted here and not in the Dive forums.

just wanted to say HI and contribute my 2 cents for Trucker Girls quesitons about Freediving

Freediving is diving not snorkelling or free swimming, but unless you have tried to stay down at 20+ feet for nearly a minute SCUBA Divers wouldnt know the difference. Asphyxiation is not Apnea, nore do freedivers particularly enjoy asphyxiation. The goal is to avoid it long before that becomes and issue. with even light training you can hold your breath past 2 minutes sitting in a chair, and with practice you can do the same dynamically moving and diving reasonably down to 70ft with the right form, hopefully in good company.

the goal is to conserve oxygen by relaxing and moving as little as possible (recreationally speaking) Some are more depth purists, others are recreational divers. I would fall into the recreational category, while the depth and time oriented record keepers seem to collect the most attention with failed magic world record attempts (Kirk Krack trainer of famed magician whose name I cant remember off hand), and 10 minute static world record times by world renound europeans with headaches and muscle atrophy issues (whose names I also cannot recall). Im more familiar with the big names of freediving the people who started it in the US: Jack Prodonovich/Wally Potts, Not the exotic highbred (oops Hybrid, or was that freuidian) Newcomers who shatter records and take names and record places.

Dont be impressed by a time record that is in most cases inherently achieved at the benefit of genetic advantage. sure it is great for humanity to bask in the hubris of itself! Lance Armstrong (expanded heart/8Liter lungs/TENACITY to match/ bored of the competition till he is met with another genetic mutation 1/2 his age), or Umberto Pezzilari (same gifts applied differently) we can't all be genetically predisposed for extremes, and we can practically hope to meet those goals. The same can be said for famous equestrian thoroughbreds (Secretariat-expanded heart and larger than normal lung capacity)

dont be intimidated by the fanatics in this sport and seek out your personal stats: CO2 Max and Lung Capacity and resting heart rate. experiment with Yoga, deep breathing and focus on exhalation. you will find that there is much...much more to freediving than the act of holding your breath and being under the water.

I hope you try it out for yourself and see the difference from SCUBA. I am willing to bet that You literally breath better freediving than you do with SCUBA and your health benefits directly from it, because you will find that breathing is more importnat than the hold. regular freediving will probably improve your air consumption when diving on separate days. (best not to mix the two activities on the same day)

I recommend "Freedive" by Terry Maas and David Sipperly, you will be amazed at the ammount of information, even for its day.

best of luck. (sorry if it was more than just 2 cents)

I am new to this thread, and am posting for the first time.
My name is Scott McClarin (AKA: TBGSUB)
I Freedive/Spearfish/UW freedive Photography and have been doing so only for the last two years every weekend in Saipan, which Is why I posted here and not in the Dive forums.

just wanted to say HI and contribute my 2 cents for Trucker Girls quesitons about Freediving

Freediving is diving not snorkelling or free swimming, but unless you have tried to stay down at 20+ feet for nearly a minute SCUBA Divers wouldnt know the difference. Asphyxiation is not Apnea, nore do freedivers particularly enjoy asphyxiation. The goal is to avoid it long before that becomes and issue. with even light training you can hold your breath past 2 minutes sitting in a chair, and with practice you can do the same dynamically moving and diving reasonably down to 70ft with the right form, hopefully in good company.

the goal is to conserve oxygen by relaxing and moving as little as possible (recreationally speaking) Some are more depth purists, others are recreational divers. I would fall into the recreational category, while the depth and time oriented record keepers seem to collect the most attention with failed magic world record attempts (Kirk Krack trainer of famed magician whose name I cant remember off hand), and 10 minute static world record times by world renound europeans with headaches and muscle atrophy issues (whose names I also cannot recall). Im more familiar with the big names of freediving the people who started it in the US: Jack Prodonovich/Wally Potts, Not the exotic highbred (oops Hybrid, or was that freuidian) Newcomers who shatter records and take names and record places.

Dont be impressed by a time record that is in most cases inherently achieved at the benefit of genetic advantage. sure it is great for humanity to bask in the hubris of itself! Lance Armstrong (expanded heart/8Liter lungs/TENACITY to match/ bored of the competition till he is met with another genetic mutation 1/2 his age), or Umberto Pezzilari (same gifts applied differently) we can't all be genetically predisposed for extremes, and we can practically hope to meet those goals. The same can be said for famous equestrian thoroughbreds (Secretariat-expanded heart and larger than normal lung capacity)

dont be intimidated by the fanatics in this sport and seek out your personal stats: CO2 Max and Lung Capacity and resting heart rate. experiment with Yoga, deep breathing and focus on exhalation. you will find that there is much...much more to freediving than the act of holding your breath and being under the water.

I hope you try it out for yourself and see the difference from SCUBA. I am willing to bet that You literally breath better freediving than you do with SCUBA and your health benefits directly from it, because you will find that breathing is more importnat than the hold. regular freediving will probably improve your air consumption when diving on separate days. (best not to mix the two activities on the same day)

I recommend "Freedive" by Terry Maas and David Sipperly, you will be amazed at the ammount of information, even for its day.

best of luck. (sorry if it was more than just 2 cents)
If all you learn from Scott's post is "focus on exhalation" it will serve you well. Most beginners try and focus on the top of their lungs, but success actually lies in the bottom.

Has anybody heard updates re Carlos Coste?

another amazing freediver/yoga freak....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom