Breaking...Emerald Loses Divers off Jupiter 6/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have boats that require divers to be equipped with an SMB when diving certain sites off the NC coast, one site in particular..
Colliam7, when I get a chance to dive I always do it off of NC, out of Wilmington. I was just curious, which dive sites require SMBs?

Isn't everyone a scubaboard member?

Actually, some divers have been eliminated for being particularly mean, among other transgressions. There is at least one very mean comment in this thread, just does not cross the line of violating TOS. I recommend being relatively considerate.

As I've been told by someone I hold in high regard..."Don't discourage others when they are acting in regards to their own safety." That said, if it makes you feel better to have a Nautilus for this type of diving, I applaud your proactiveness. It can't hurt. The truth is the Jupiter dive ops do thousands of these dives every year and very, very, very (I'll not add more, but you get my point) few go missing. Requiring OTHER divers to buy a Nautilus in order to drift dive off Jupiter?? Oh puleeze...someone needs to get off the internet and go diving...geez. :facepalm:
Oh, "puleeze" point out in my post where I specifically said Jupiter. If you puleeze.

Any protocol that emphasizes rescue gear vs.established safety procedures such as pulling a bouy or the legally required flag is foolish at best and seems contrary SB policy on promoting unsafe diving practices....says the guy who has rescued 4 idiots over 3 incidents using said unsafe practices.

But, whenever an operation experiences two incidents like this in a reasonably short time frame, they are obligated to thoroughly review their staff AND their procedures. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the staff. But, perhaps their procedures - which may include communication with dive customers - can be modified to prevent a re-occurrence.
That's the bottom line.

...or the legally required flag...

Legally under state law or federal? I ask because the shark feeding dives are conducted over 3 miles off Florida's coast, in federal waters, not state. If you're referring to state law, it's not legally required.

Richard.

I would like to edit your one sentence: Maybe all divers should [be given] BUY a Nautilus , make it part of the [dive package] required gear to go on an advanced drift dive.

I'd also like to take this a step further & edit your edited sentence. :)

Maybe all divers should buy a Nautilus (& another device since there are some things which Nautilus does well & others it doesn't), make them both a part of the required gear to go on any dive.

(Problems can happen on any dive. I was left at sea during an easy, shallow dive with no current. This got far worse when a storm then came in very early.)

Funny,just looked at the state statutes and they are pretty clearly required.In any case it is SOP for any rational person.

Careful who your calling rational buddy. Just because I carry an SMB or a flag doesn't mean I'm rational. OK maybe it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom