Breaking in the boys club??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I have started diving, I feel like I have left a lot of people behind that I would like to still spend time with--but my free time is now spent diving and so the story goes.
could cost be a factor be cost? I know I don't have the fundage my buddy has; consequently, I'm not too enthusiastic participating in areas where the difference is too great. It's not an ego thing as much as a feeling that if I can't participate fully then I don't want to be tempted by all the fancy gadgets.

FWIW, I second the suggestion of a Girls only Discover scuba course. Also, have you thought about scuba assisted skorkeling for starters?

I've had the same experience others have discussed - I have a really hard time getting my dry friends interested in diving, despite my non-stop chatter about it and endless slideshows. They usually say they are too claustrophobic or that they don't mind swimming on the surface but don't want to go below.

Also, there seems to be lots of women newbies taking OW classes but not a lot of experienced women. Although I have a small core group of die hard women I like to dive with, it seems like most of the new ones getting certified don't end up being the ones to come out and splash around the quarry - they are getting certified for an upcoming trip. I see lots of female divers in warm water on trips - maybe its a warm water thing? That would make sense with the comment that there are lots of female divers in FL.

all my buddies (except almitychild) are male

i have alot of friends that i dont spend any time thinking about how to get them into the water....... if they arent motivated themselves then i just dont think about it

almitywife:
all my buddies (except almitychild) are male

i have alot of friends that i dont spend any time thinking about how to get them into the water....... if they arent motivated themselves then i just dont think about it

Interesting. I wasn't going to post to this, until I saw this comment. I agree with almity.

When I first read the question, I took it sort of the same way almity did. What is the purpose of trying to engage people who don't show any interest to begin with?

I've found that my non-diving friends, and even casual acquaintances, fall into two categories... interested in diving, not interested in diving. Oddly enough, there is a strong correlation to whether they are interested in physical activity or not interested in physical activity. There is little correlation to whether or not they are male or female.

[I will admit that many women are much more likely to comment about the beautiful fish, whereas the guys usually end up asking if I carry a knife, and how deep I dive... but, I digress.]

If the goal is just to get more women into diving, then I think that you need to look beyond your current friends. If they aren't into diving, I don't think that it's any sort of "boy's club" mentality or barrier that is keeping them from it. I just don't meet that many women who seem timid of doing something because "boy's" are doing it. Maybe they think you're a bit too "gung ho" about it, and they don't understand that there are many levels that can be enjoyed. I'd suspect though, that it's more just a general disinterest in adventure sports in general.

All that being said, if you want to get people into diving, you might try just getting them interested in the water first. Boating, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. are all very low impact, low stress activities. Shoot, go sunbathing on beaches where divers are. Point them out. Comment about how much fun they seem to be having. Get especially excited when you see that rare woman diver. Once around water, they might decide they want to be around it (or under it) more.

almitywife:
ai have alot of friends that i dont spend any time thinking about how to get them into the water....... if they arent motivated themselves then i just dont think about it
I always push everybody towards the water... :D Can't help it... it's what I do.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I always push everybody towards the water... :D Can't help it... it's what I do.
Rick
that explains why they are usually screaming and crying i suppose :D

i am such a wus, i'd probably pass out

I am firmly of the opinion that scuba is one of those hobbies/sports where I’d rather people seek into it on their own accord rather than after persuasion, bribing and general sneakery :wink: Because of the nature of the beast, I just think it’s better the reluctant or unsure ones don’t feel they have to…

It’s ok just to make people more aware that it’s “out there” and what it really is, and that it might not be as extreme as perceived (on all levels). However, I don’t see any point pestering and couching someone (for years sometimes it seems) to get into scuba if they have great reservations – and because of someone else’s needs. It really isn’t a necessity that everyone dives. It really even isn’t a necessity that equal amount of men and women dive.

I’ve been in a position before when I had to choose between a hobby and time spend between friends because they weren’t willing to go as nuts about same thing (dang them). I don’t think I could necessary drag my female friends into eg any other sport any more than scuba either, male or female-dominated. It’s an interest thing. The older we get, the harder it is to find many friends to go nuts about same things either. Especially if it takes such a time commitment as scuba does.

Just my opinion.

victor:
How about organising a discover scuba with only female staff members. I suspect some of the problems are "I don't want to look foolish in front of a MAN".

Having an all girl session would let them let there hair down without worrying about it.

My wife has done this with very good results. Highly recommended.

After reading all of these posts, I find myself agreeing with a lot of what has been said.

I would like to add that in my experience there can be more 'internal barriers' for women to get into a hobby or activity that they have not considered to be for 'people like them'.

That was certainly the case for me. However, while snorkeling, I saw how cool diving could be and that prompted me to challenge some of those barriers. And, then of course, the addiction was on.

I think the idea of a women's only event is an awesome way to start... also, if you can imagine what some of the participants might be worried about and address the issue... Do I have to wear a wetsuit? (If you are planning a relatively brief discovery session in a pool, then a wet suit may not be needed.) I've also had good luck using myself as an example... if _ I _ can do it, anybody can.... having lots of photos around can be an incentive.

As an aside, I'm getting ready to re-organize Big Adventures -- if you would like the latest news briefing, pm me and I'll add you to the list.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom