Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone want to put their talents to use and sync all videos into real time in a split screen, instead of jumping back and forth between them and at different times?

Without time stamps on the video it would impossible to synchronize them unless you started with point of impact and worked backwards.

EDIT: Time stamp would mean squat considering they may be set to different times. Sorry...brain fart :D

Plus I prefer to use my "talents" for evil rather than good.

Without time stamps on the video it would impossible to synchronize them unless you started with point of impact and worked backwards.

EDIT: Time stamp would mean squat considering they may be set to different times. Sorry...brain fart :D

Plus I prefer to use my "talents" for evil rather than good.

Me too. :D

Maybe we shouldnt let you back into the thread until you do so. :rofl3:

Anyone want to put their talents to use and sync all videos into real time in a split screen, instead of jumping back and forth between them and at different times?

The second of the two links I have posted three times in the past day and a half is the time sinc 3-way video you seem to be asking for.

I was speaking of those time stamps in the end of my analysis post.

:hm:.....that could take a while.....I am afraid most would vote in favour.....Actually there is one on YouTube that I think was embedded earlier in this thread.

Too many pages for me to look through now. If it was just 1 page....maybe.

The second of the two links I have posted three times in the past day and a half is the time sinc 3-way video you seem to be asking for.

Yeah that one.

U.N. Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972

Rule 13

Overtaking

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of this Section any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

I was speaking of those time stamps in the end of my analysis post.

Its close to what I'm asking for, but not exactly.

U.N. Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972

Rule 13

Overtaking

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of this Section any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

So rule 13 puts would make the whalers the overtaking vessel, they would always be the overtaking vessel unless the AG wanted it the other way around (because speed and maneuverability plays to their favor).

In essence, if this is the only law to take into account then the SS, or any properly motivated group, could impede shipping everywhere. Reason dictates that there has to be more to this to consider-or the law is lacking in this case.

In essence, if this is the only law to take into account then the SS, or any properly motivated group, could impede shipping everywhere. Reason dictates that there has to be more to this to consider-or the law is lacking in this case.

Again each time frame can be put under scrutiny. However the time immediately before the accident is what is relevant to the collision. How the AG was driven at other times could convict the Master of dangerous operation, but it's the collision that's under discussion.

Clearly the Trawler in this case was in-fact the overtaking vessel. This places the responsibility directly on the Master of the Trawler to avoid contact (not the other way around).

It's not unreasonable to liken this to an auto accident. If the AG pulled immediately infront of the trawler and stopped, their is nothing that the Trawler may be able to do to avoid a collision. They would have the onus to try to. In this case however, it would appear that the Trawler had lots of time to either hold their course or turn to port, either of which would have avoided a collision. They chose not to.

We can only suspect what was in the mind of the Whaler Captain. I can certainly sympathize with him, if he wanted to run into them (given the same circumstances, I likely would). However what we would "like to do" and "what we do" out of a sense of responsibility are often two different things. I wouldn't be surprised if s/he is convicted and loses his Masters license. I would think that breaches of Maritime Law against the AG and the SB in general may be pursued for other incidents that do not immediately surround this collision.

It's not unreasonable to liken this to an auto accident. If the AG pulled immediately infront of the trawler and stopped, their is nothing that the Trawler may be able to do to avoid a collision. They would have the onus to try to. In this case however, it would appear that the Trawler had lots of time to either hold their course or turn to port, either of which would have avoided a collision. They chose not to.

Once again, - you have no idea of the helm commands of the trawler, and you don't have any of the footage from the past 3 hours. How do you know the Ady Gil wasn't constantly this close playing chicken for the past three hours, zooming back and forth and constantly causing the trawler to alter course to avoid it?

Even if this was an isolated incident, you have no idea if the trawler skipper tried to avoid a collision or not. Boats that size on a rough sea do not travel in a straight, undeviating line, even without commands from the helm. The vessel is subject to pitch and yaw from the sea, which has a much greater influence than the helm over a couple of dozen metres or twenty seconds.

Once again these vessels can not turn on a dime, and it is abundantly obvious that the Ady Gil accelerated into the whaler.

None of the SS-apologists in this thread are keen to acknowledge these overarching facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom