Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, SS are only focusing on what will make a good show and bring lots of donations $$$$$$$$

Exactly. In my younger days, I was in a similar group, very left wing militant group (won't go into too much detail) and also at that time I was very aware of the behind the scenes activities of various other groups. The motivations of the leaders are far from pure (usually it is for attention, cash, groupies, and to look like a martyr) and even at the level of the lower echelon activists most only learn about one side of the thing they are fighting against it, are in it because they like the idea of being a warrior but given they are hippies they can't join the army; or they are middle class (most were from privileged upbringings unlike me so the contrast was interesting) trying to assuage their guilt over their middleclassness. The way they deal with members is akin to brainwashing and the organisations are very cult like. I was raised in and escaped one cult already so easily recognised the similar methods used.

I mean don't get me wrong, there are plenty in the organisations who really believe in what they are doing but they are utterly ignorant and blind to any difference of opinion.

There are a lot of other credible organizations and individuals out there using methods that will convince people that the cause is good. The SS are only making people want to become pro whalers

Exactly.

Exactly. In my younger days, I was in a similar group, very left wing militant group (won't go into too much detail) and also at that time I was very aware of the behind the scenes activities of various other groups. The motivations of the leaders are far from pure (usually it is for attention, cash, groupies, and to look like a martyr) and even at the level of the lower echelon activists most only learn about one side of the thing they are fighting against it, are in it because they like the idea of being a warrior but given they are hippies they can't join the army; or they are middle class (most were from privileged upbringings unlike me so the contrast was interesting) trying to assuage their guilt over their middleclassness. The way they deal with members is akin to brainwashing and the organisations are very cult like. I was raised in and escaped one cult already so easily recognised the similar methods used.

I mean don't get me wrong, there are plenty in the organisations who really believe in what they are doing but they are utterly ignorant and blind to any difference of opinion.

Exactly.

cult is the keyword here

Japan has a history of destroying the balance. .... Why should their past and current failures lead to us letting them have their way? Isn't that a very similar question you ask over and over about the Sea Shepherd's?

Us? Them? Who the hell are you to decide?

I presume you are American, by your tone. "Your" record with bison, passenger pigeons and snowy egrets hardly lends itself to being able to hector other sovereign nations.

"You" have a history of messing up your own species, why should anyone else listen to "you"?

What it comes down to is the IWC countries placed a moratorium on the commercial hunting of whales in 1986 with a vote of 25 for and 7 against. The moratorium was carried. Although Japan is not obliged to follow any rules set-out by the IWC, it remains a member to this day. If they wish to defy the decision of the Commission, they can at least do this openly and not under the fraudulent guise of "Research."

Although the IWC does not have legal status, the Antarctic Treaty has the force of law. Japan only seems bent on thumbing its nose to the world. BANZAI!

YouTube - BANZAI - The Wheel of Misfortune

What it comes down to is the IWC countries placed a moratorium on the commercial hunting of whales in 1986 with a vote of 25 for and 7 against. The moratorium was carried. Although Japan is not obliged to follow any rules set-out by the IWC, it remains a member to this day. If they wish to defy the decision of the Commission, they can at least do this openly and not under the fraudulent guise of "Research."

I agree with this.

Although the IWC does not have legal status, the Antarctic Treaty has the force of law. Japan only seems bent on thumbing its nose to the world.

Thanks, you've just summed up what I've been saying in my posts over and over again.

I still think the Ady Gill deliberately placed itself in front of the larger ship to be rammed. They were too well prepared for a bath. In that, SS was successfull and the whalers fell into their trap. So I cant say the SS were stupid, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Large ships cant turn on a dime so even if they wanted to, they could not have avoided it.
Many suicides occur on roads nowadays by people getting in front of large trucks that cant do anything to avoid them. By killing themselves, they put other people in danger and ruin the lives of truck drivers that have trouble coping with it for the rest of their lives.

I dont think the japanese whalers will have trouble living with what happened though (no one was seriously injured). They'll probably be still laughing 20 years from now.

No, SS are only focusing on what will make a good show and bring lots of donations $$$$$$$$

There are a lot of other credible organizations and individuals out there using methods that will convince people that the cause is good. The SS are only making people want to become pro whalers

Wardric/Eric...I don't too many folks out there are pro-whaling, nor would become advocates as a direct result of the Whale Wars.

Sea Shepherds activities are focused on disrupting the % of catches and generating publicity to fund further operations and sway public opinion. Much like ICR in Japan with their "evidence."

If anyone is caring to read the data - they could do either of a few things to end the whale wars:

1. Donate more money to Sea Shepherds and like-minded organizations.
2. Become a politician in Japan and find/promote alternatives which would make whaling obsolete.

As I've intimated from the data - this incredible waste of petrol/time/equipment/animals) in the Antarctic isn't going to end soon unless Japan finds whaling totally obsolete. The Russians did - but then again they didn't the financial infrastructure to get their whaling industry afloat past the early 70's.

X

The networks that have the SS on want something that will attract viewers. We all know that drama is what most people want and that is what the SS has masterfully provided. They have also been successful in convincing many that they are the "hurt party" coming out of the whole situation.

This is not about winning hearts but TV ratings.

Wardric/Eric...I don't too many folks out there are pro-whaling, nor would become advocates as a direct result of the Whale Wars.

Sea Shepherds activities are focused on disrupting the % of catches and generating publicity to fund further operations and sway public opinion. Much like ICR in Japan with their "evidence."

If anyone is caring to read the data - they could do either of a few things to end the whale wars:

1. Donate more money to Sea Shepherds and like-minded organizations.
2. Become a politician in Japan and find/promote alternatives which would make whaling obsolete.

X

Sea Shepherds activities are focused on disrupting the % of catches and generating publicity to fund further operations

I understand that and think it works to a fairly good degree but this:

and sway public opinion.

They are far less successful at. I think if they had been honest about things, i.e. saying 'we were trying to mess up the ship and planned to get in their way and be rammed, or annoy them so much they wanted to ram us' they'd get more support than they are getting now, where many think that they deserved it due to their actions previously. I doubt many people believe they were completely innocent in this at all and they have lost a lot of respect by not fessing up to this, in my opinion.

Guys...everyone's take is what it is. All of this whaling junk stinks big time. Neither side is innocent as propaganda rules the day. The only difference is a minor change in tactics each year. Having television on your side helps with $ campaign necessary to fund a very expensive campaign. Having the Japanese government in your pocket via ICR helps fund a very expensive campaign. Having this discussion about who's right or wrong here does very little to change anything. Hmmm. Maybe a poll in the near future?

Gotta go shovel some snow from a blowin' mini-Noreaster.

X

Back
Top Bottom