BREAKING NEWS ... U.S Airways plane in Hudson River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah we could end hunger in america with.

Pretty impressive response by the NYPD, it seems:

The helicopter hovered, making sure not to get too close out of concern that the winds from the rotor would push passengers into the water, Sergeant Hendrix said. The divers jumped from the helicopter not far from the water. About five to seven minutes had passed since the 911 call, Sergeant Hendrix said.

The divers saw the women fighting for their lives in the water.

The women were clinging to a ferry but were unable to get aboard as the water quickly numbed them. Detective Delaney entered the water without an air tank, but only his diving suit, mask and snorkel and approached a woman floating in a life vest, he said.

“She was very frantic,” he said. “I just told her to relax and tell me what her name was.” She feared the ferry she was holding onto would run her over, he said.

The second woman had panicked and fallen off a ferry, the divers said. “I swam over to her and helped her in,” Detective Delaney said.

OK, so everyone survived thankfully.... Now I'll ask what EVERYONE here is thinking.. anyone think we can dive it in the future?

They say that pigeons are rats with wings. Geese are even worse. Pa is hitting all time highs with deer hunting licenses. Sounds like NY needs to push goose hunting!

Yeah, just what the world needs.. More New Yorkers with guns! :wink:

Pretty impressive response by the NYPD, it seems:

NYPD has a 2 man dive team from the scuba unit at Floyd Bennet 24/7..I have had some of my students who became members of that team and have had officers come looking for me to prepare to get on the team..Because of that I have had the opportunity a few times to go out on team boat and helicopter.It was a blast.:)
News 12 camera crew came to store last night to get info and on camera interview.I guess they need to fill some time.

I wonder what will happen with the plane....

I see that they towed it to a pier area... I'm guessing they can crane it out in one piece (maybe using 2 cranes).

seeing that a A320 is prob a $50 to $60 million dollar plane, I wonder if it will be completely scrapped or rebuilt and put back into service? (maybe not hauling passengers for US Air, but sold off to haul freight, etc). There are lots of other planes that are out there flying in prob much worse condition than this plane for example.

Last edited:
Anyone want to go look for that missing engine? Maybe the DIR guys can help out here...the water seems pretty black :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom