Breaking the caffeine addiction and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm finally getting around to breaking my caffeine addiction and its delivery mechanism (copious amounts of Mt Dew). I started on Monday and today I realized how much water I was getting via the dew that I now have to find another source for (gonna try and be good and take it in as plain water). Besides the dehydration issue is there anything else I need to address to not increase my DCS risk?

I'm finally getting around to breaking my caffeine addiction and its delivery mechanism (copious amounts of Mt Dew). I started on Monday and today I realized how much water I was getting via the dew that I now have to find another source for (gonna try and be good and take it in as plain water). Besides the dehydration issue is there anything else I need to address to not increase my DCS risk?
Mike, I'm not aware of any studies that show a strong link between caffeine intake and increased DCS risk. Most warnings to divers about caffeine have to do with caffeine's diuretic effect. To a certain extent, I believe that there is a tolerance/adaptation effect that occurs with sustained dosing of caffeine in habitual coffee drinkers. For this reason, on a dive day, I see no problem with maintaining your normal intake of caffeine (within reasonable limits) and keeping a close eye on your hydration status. Assuming that you are a normal healthy individual, you can usually monitor this by noting the color of your urine (light yellow to clear indicates that you are well-hydrated).

FYI, moderate caffeine intake appears to improve performance in cognitive tests and may also have an anti-oxidant effect in the body.

Do the Dew (if you feel so inclined)...just be sure to stay well-hydrated. :D

Good luck to ya! I quit drinking sodas altogether back in Feb. I was drinking 3- 6 of them a day. I haven't drank one for almost 12 weeks now. That first week of going through caffeine withdrawals was rough, as I don't like tea or coffee. I wasn't a very nice person then, but after a week I was fine. Instead, I started drinking lemon aid made with a water bottle & Crystal Light Lemon Aid & also drinking water. As Bubble mentioned, caffeine is a diuretic which can lead to dehydration & dehydration to DCS. Best thing for diving,... water, water, water.

I guess I wasn't very clear with my question. I'm not concerned about the caffeine intake causing dehydration as sodas are mostly water and the net affect (for me at least) is that I can maintain hydration with them. The dehydration concern is due to the fact that I'm cutting off that source of water and now must replace it.

What I am really looking for is if there is anything else I need to look out for as I lower (and eliminate) the caffeine consumption. I.E. any other effect caffeine and sodas might have that I don't know.

Caffeine withdrawal can cause headaches. That's about all I can think of.

I cut out caffeine for an entire year and one side-effect was that I didn't get anything done at work.

I seem to be self-medicating for a little bit of ADD, and the caffeine lets me plug through monotonous work better.

What I found most useful was getting off of the high fructose corn syrup. So, when I went back onto caffeine it was nonfat lattes, americanos and plain old black coffee...

Initially when I quit my 3-4L of pop / day habit I immediately started eating a pint of ice cream a night, which opened my eyes to how much I'm a sugar addict.

One thing you can use as a water substitute is talking rain seltzer. Its zero-cal, zero-sodium, etc. The true water nazis look down on it because its bubbly, but it helps me drink enough liquids.

…...be prepared for your workmates to comment, "You sure are quiet today."…...

I cut out caffeine for an entire year and one side-effect was that I didn't get anything done at work.

:rofl3:

Diet Cokes are my friend and enemy...Mountain Dew has the highest content of caffeine of any soft drink other than those Red Bull varieties...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom