Breast implants and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pam and Stella

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear Dr.

Is there any info you could give me on the safety of diving with breast implants? Any pressure problems, or depth regulations? Thank you very much for your time.

Pamela

Pamela:

While bubbles can form, it appears unlikely that a problem such as explosion or disruption will occur. Here is a resech study by a group at Duke University.
Vann RD; Riefkohl R; Georgiade GS; Georgiade NG. Mammary implants, diving, and altitude exposure. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1988. Feb. Volume 81, (2): 200-3

Mammary implants were exposed to various simulated dive profiles followed by altitude exposures to stimulate aircraft travel and then were observed for bubble formation and volume changes. Minimal volume changes occurred after each dive. Numerous bubbles formed, however, reaching their maximum size in 3 hours. By comparison, when implants were exposed to high altitude following a dive exposure, significant volume changes occurred. This in vitro study showed that bubble formation and volume expansion occur after exposing implants to diving and altitude, but the circumstances required to produce these changes in vivo are extremely unlikely to occur normally.

It was their feeling that a problem is not possible under conventional circumstances.

Here is an interesting view from Robert Overlock, MD, (Medical Director, HTC, Honolulu, Hi.) He states that he actually ran a dive with implants several years ago at the Hyperbaric Treatment Center in Honolulu. He saturated several samples of breast implant provided by a local surgeon. They found that there was no bubble formation in the Silicone as long as the material was not agitated or disturbed. Their test dive profile was 100 fsw for 24 hours, a very long dive indeed and for this test only.

Their conclusion was that implants would not be problematic except possibly in saturation dives, and then only if mechanical stresses were applied post dive. Dr. Overlock points out that since circulation is not present within the implant, gas delivery would be limited.

I think I need helium..., instead of silicone.

I watched Myth Buster's several months ago on implants and diving, results...... Myth busted, safe to dive with implants!

Pam,

There are a few really good threads on this subject in the forums. They are a bit old, but still of good information.

I would suggest that you do a search on "implants" and see what comes up.

the K

This may be the oldest thread I've seen resurected.

TJ,

The thread may be old, but the concern is new every day.

the K

Wow this is an old thread! I had an instructor candidate working with me with breast implants about 8 to 10 years ago. She was too proud of them...Created many problems NDR

Joe

cudachaser:
She was too proud of them...Created many problems NDR

so what she'd do?

did she go up to a student and say, "hey toots, check out my implants! don't
you wish yours looked so natural?"

Back
Top Bottom