Breathing a High P02 Gas Post Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebra 1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
During my recent training my instructor and I were discussing breathing 02 on the surface. He was of the mind that it should not be done because it might mask the symptoms of DCS. I told him that some of the leading industry experts recommend the practice. Jeff Bonzanic and Dr Simon Mitchell if I recall correctly. Anyway my instructor wants proof and
I can't find the thread(s).

I agree, he REALLY knows his stuff, but in this case I think I can change his opinion.
I'm pretty sure I've read a thread here on Scubaboard where experts have posted that they practice this.
If anyone here knows where I can find where it's posted I would appreciate it.

One good thing to do (as taught by my instructor) is to stay on the loop on the surface. You waste less oxygen and you might as well breathe warm moist O2.

During my recent training my instructor and I were discussing breathing 02 on the surface. He was of the mind that it should not be done because it might mask the symptoms of DCS. I told him that some of the leading industry experts recommend the practice. Jeff Bonzanic and Dr Simon Mitchell if I recall correctly. Anyway my instructor wants proof and
I can't find the thread(s).
People have been extending their deco on the surface - breathing OC O2 usually - for decades. Your instructor seems like he doesn't have much experience with serious dives (3-8hrs+)

And yes I absolutely want to mask DCS with O2 instead of promptly becoming symptomatic! If I mask it long enough, I'll offgas that much more and not get DCS at all!

I don't understand what he means by "masking the symptoms of DCS" I guess putting that another way if you immediately experience DCS symptoms while surfacing you were already bent. O2 is not really going to mask that but only really help you. How do you treat DCS on the surface? Oxygen. You want to be on oxygen or a higher ppO2 gas.

After a long or deep cave dive I might stay on the loop or breath pure oxygen while I am taking off and unclipping other bottles. A lot of us do this before walking/climbing out of the water especially in places with a lot of stairs.

O2 clears my head after the dive. If you were diving OC it wouldn't be a problem, and if your last deco gas was O2, to have the regulator in your mouth until you board the boat or end the shore dive. I've heard from CCR divers that it could be a problem if you were diving twice a day for days on end. In that case your set point would need adjusting. But I would want clarification from other CCR divers.

I think the instructor was going along the lines of you may have DCS and not know it. You pushed the boundry too far. Since you are curing the DCS without knowing you had it, that may be the issue they have.

If you think you pushed the limits too far, yes take the surface O2. Physically it can only help. Mentally, you may have had DCS and not known it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom