Pre-breathing procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very unit dependent.

For the Revo, I use this process -- adapted from many stupid failures!
  • Fins on
  • Facing unit: turn on drysuit inflate, ensure hose is routed correctly (not behind you)
  • Facing unit: turn on Dil, suck the loop and prove the ADV injects (not breathing from the loop, especially if hypoxic)
  • Untie the box, climb in, strap tight, connect hoses and heater
  • Check hoses and cables aren't tangled; tuck torch cable into waistband
  • Check drysuit dump open and inflate; BCD inflate (small puff)
  • Pull on Petrel, turn on -- solenoid should click (if it's quiet on the boat)
  • Loop over head and in mouth, turn on Nerd,
  • Fully turn on O2, should hear it injecting
  • Breathe in, out through nose as O2 flushes through; check O2's rising (only one breath normally)
  • Once over 0.7, keep breathing for a few breaths; remove loop.
  • Finish donning bailout stages (already checked they work); turn on bottom bailout; power up and turn off other bailout deco stages
  • Gloves on, mask spat in, etc.
  • Check the BOV works (connected to offboard) - be careful if hypoxic.
  • Breathe from unit until RMS (Revo Monitoring System / temp stick) shows there's more than 45 mins of scrubber, generally takes a couple of mins. This validates the scrubbers are in, have fresh scrubber, are scrubbing enough to warm up, etc.
Then:
  • If a few mins delay <20mins do not turn off O2.
  • If a long delay, >20mins (e.g. tide's still running, shot's dropped off the wreck)
    • Turn off computers, loop over the head
    • Turn off O2 (Revo has a leaky valve/orifice)
    • If the Petrel's off, this means you must pre-breathe again, i.e. turn the O2 back on.
  • Before jump (literally at gate):
    • Check drysuit dump is open; inject gas into drysuit -- have drysuit (proves inflate is on)
    • Inject into wing -- have buoyancy (proves diluent is on)
    • Manually inject O2 -- can breathe (also proves O2 is on)
    • Check PPO2; last check of RMS/scrubber duration (should now be well over an hour)
    • Check: fins, mask on face, drygloves on and sealed.
  • Jump.

If a few mins delay <20mins do not turn off O2.
  • If a long delay, >20mins (e.g. tide's still running, shot's dropped off the wreck)
    • Turn off computers, loop over the head
    • Turn off O2 (Revo has a leaky valve/orifice)
Diving my rEvo, I changed the procedure and close O2 every time until just before I jump into the water (usually it takes us quite some time from doing the pre-jump check on the car until I walked to the water and waited for my buddy;-)).
The reason why I do this is not (primarily) to save O2 - I feel, to minimize my margin of error, I should do it ALWAYS the same way and not dependent on the circumstances (time to jump/descent). By always closing it, I have memorized it as one single procedure: hand on o2 valve and open/check p2 values-injection / go into the loop. In other words: I will not go into the loop without biefly having my hand at the O2 valve.

The pre-breathing, I do exactly according to rEvo's check list (RMS 0:45), which is usually perfectly matching a short walk from the set-up place to the water.

uhm, I do a pre-breathe to ascertain if my oxygen injection system is functioning correctly. It's not to check scrubber functioning, i keep track of scrubber material/dive time. A couple minutes above water may not be enough to see enough CO2 build up, but a couple minutes of O2 injection not working and monitoring your PO2 will definitely show up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom