Breathing air maximum terminal depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Dr Simon Mitchell The linked presentation is very convincing, but I'm curious why the data shows such a dramatic increase in CO2 retention going from 5-6 g/L to 6-7 g/L if breathing resistance only increases as the square root of gas density. (This is shown at ca. 47 minutes into the presentation.) That is, why is there such a critical change after ca. 6 g/L? Do you have any hypotheses as to what else might be contributing?
Thank you.

Last sentence plays in my mind whenever I read anecdotal evidence for deep air.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-04-15-40-27-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-04-15-40-27-1.png
    452.2 KB · Views: 179
On air, EAN32 or EAN28, gas density reaches 6 g/L around 35-36m (115 to 120 feet). 6 g/L seems to be a limit for proper ventilation of CO2.

Which means that according to those data, it's probably a good idea to use a bit of helium at greater depths than some 30-something meters/100-something feet.

I suggest that the your threshold for what is prudent is overstated. There are millions of hours that commercial and military divers have safely worked at greater depths on air -- where CO2 retention is a far bigger problem given the higher average physical exertion and increased dead-air space in their hats and masks. Many times that number of hours has been safely executed by recreational divers over the last 70 years. Let's not forget that 165'/50M was the recommended depth limit for recreational air divers in much of Europe for decades. I find it difficult to defend that shallow of a threshold for most divers when weighed against this quantitative body of evidence.

This may be an appropriate suggestion for divers with compromised pulmonary function and/or poor physical conditioning. You can always argue that 100'/30M safer than 130'/40M. I can also argue that one tenth of that is even "safer" and knee deep is safer than that.

That is not to imply that conditions and experience are not critical parts of the calculus. IMO panic is the root cause of death in recreational diving, even when triggered by minor medical emergencies. Elevated Carbon Dioxide is the most panic-inducing environment that most people will experience. Panic will make anyone stupid faster than Nitrogen Narcosis.

I suggest that the your threshold for what is prudent is overstated. There are millions of hours that commercial and military divers have safely worked at greater depths on air -- where CO2 retention is a far bigger problem given the higher average physical exertion and increased dead-air space in their hats and masks. Many times that number of hours has been safely executed by recreational divers over the last 70 years. Let's not forget that 165'/50M was the recommended depth limit for recreational air divers in much of Europe for decades. I find it difficult to defend that shallow of a threshold for most divers when weighed against this quantitative body of evidence.

This may be an appropriate suggestion for divers with compromised pulmonary function and/or poor physical conditioning. You can always argue that 100'/30M safer than 130'/40M. I can also argue that one tenth of that is even "safer" and knee deep is safer than that.

That is not to imply that conditions and experience are not critical parts of the calculus. IMO panic is the root cause of death in recreational diving, even when triggered by minor medical emergencies. Elevated Carbon Dioxide is the most panic-inducing environment that most people will experience. Panic will make anyone stupid faster than Nitrogen Narcosis.

Interesting. TDI Deco Procedures states a diver is "qualified to conduct staged dives to 45 msw / 150 fsw." I believe DP always comes before Trimix, so that means air dives. Compared to the 40 m (5 bar) recommended by Dr. Mitchell, 45 m (5.5 bar) would give a gas density 10% higher, or ca. 6.6 g/L.

It makes sense the CO2 retention would depend on the level of exertion, but I don't have a feel for what constitutes "moderate work." Gently finning? or swimming against a current? Or panic-induced stress?
Deep Air to 40m, or any working depth on a particular breathing mixture with a gas density of 6 g/L or greater, you should be utilizing a DPV/Scooter to minimize mobility exertion -especially if you anticipate long finning distances against strong currents at those depths, and are "loaded up" with deco & stage bottles.

In this short video link, observe the current impacting the OC tech divers and how little headway they make with strong frog kicks. Deep Air will quickly have you into CO2 retention within a few minutes of attempting to maintain this level of exertion in my experience (see below) -and even a standard Trimix breathing gas may not provide much more WOB margin trying to sustain this physical activity as well. . .

Kevrumbo:
Deep Air/Dark Narc encounter to 80m on Oil Rig Eureka here in offshore SoCal 3yrs ago, in 12deg C water temp depth at the time. Used double AL80 11L manifolded cylinders, an AL80 11L tank of Oxygen, a drysuit for exposure & redundant buoyancy, and a DPV (Dive Xtras Sierra Scooter).

Planned dive was a quick powered scooter descent to 90m for a few minutes, and then multi-level profile up with most of the time spent at 18m, with O2 deco at 6m as needed.

With the scooter off and stowed, all it took was three forceful & physically exerting frog kicks into the stiff current at 80m (9 ATA) depth, and I was instantly overcome with a narcotic CO2 hit: increasing and spiraling Hyperventilation & Dyspnea (difficulty breathing the regulator), high density & flow viscosity of Deep Air ("like sucking treacle thru a straw") & resulting Hypercapnia came on immediately. In the dim ambient light, the only thing I was able to perceive was my Dive Computer flashing an extreme PPO2 Warning prompt of 1.9, and it took a few minutes focused concentration not to panic, just to hang onto a support beam and try to relax & regain a nominal breathing rate & clear head before starting the ascent using the scooter. (Note: Elevated CO2 also increases the likelihood of hyperoxic seizures.) The point is that a Deep Air bounce dive like above can be treacherous enough even if planned and prepared as a technical dive on double tanks with plenty of gas supply margin to recover at depth from Hypercapnia . . .It would be dangerous and near fatal tragedy to make this mistake on a Single Tank!

Not at all pleasant and I don't want to do that again. . .

Last edited:
In this short video link, observe the current impacting the OC tech divers and how little headway they make with strong frog kicks. . .
They didn't look very relaxed did they -add to that the self awareness of knowing that your working and building up c02 is an increased anxiety effect. Better than working hard building up c02 and not being aware i guess

Hello Akimbo,

I would like to start with this statement:

I find it difficult to defend that shallow of a threshold for most divers when weighed against this quantitative body of evidence.

What you are citing is not a "quantitative body of evidence". It is an observation (which most of us would agree with) that many divers have dived whilst breathing denser gas than recommended on the basis of the QinetiQ data. You are then extrapolating this to an inference that the QinetiQ recommendation must be wrong. This I disagree with, and my reasons are as follows.

There are millions of hours that commercial and military divers have safely worked at greater depths on air -- where CO2 retention is a far bigger problem given the higher average physical exertion and increased dead-air space in their hats and masks.

Your thesis is a little like saying that speed limits are a waste of time because millions of drivers ignore them and travel much faster all the time without problems. However, talk to traffic scientists on the matter and they will tell you that excess speed is unequivocally important in causation and outcome of many traffic accidents. The point is not that speeding will always kill you, but rather that if you do speed your chances of an accident and / or a bad outcome are higher. Its not a perfect analogy for a few reasons, but you get the point.

To your discussion of commercial and military diving in particular. As you know, these are somewhat rarefied diving activities in which things like training, experience, diver fitness, diver health surveillance, support, preparation, tethering, equipment maintenance, comms, surface supply, unlimited gas, trained medical support, immediate recompression just to mention a few all modify the probability of an accident and the outcome if one occurs. Thus, it is not a particularly good population / activity against which to calibrate the impact of a particular risk factor (in this case gas density) in other diving communities (like recreational diving). It makes perfect sense that the impact of such a risk factor might be less in the commercial / military diving world and tolerances might be broader. I won't argue that point.

Having said that, I'm sure you would not claim there are no accidents in commercial and military diving. And no doubt, some of these occur during the breathing of gas at densities higher than recommended on the basis of the QinetiQ experiments. I put it to you that you have no way of knowing what proportion of accidents occurring in this setting may have had CO2 retention as a risk factor if not a direct contributor, and therefore what proportion may have been prevented if there had been closer attention to gas density planning. I am not trying to be definitive about this, but am merely pointing out the potential flaw in making an argument that is tantamount to "lots of us use denser gas therefore your proposed gas density limit is wrong".

Many times that number of hours has been safely executed by recreational divers over the last 70 years. Let's not forget that 165'/50M was the recommended depth limit for recreational air divers in much of Europe for decades.

I would be curious to know where you get your "many times millions" of hours deeper than 40m on air metric from? I have no data myself, but my intuition is that this might be something of an exaggeration. Leaving that aside, I have two points to make.

The first is similar to the one made in relation to commercial / military diving above. There are many accidents in recreational and tech diving, and no doubt some of these occur during the breathing of gas at densities higher than recommended on the basis of the QinetiQ experiments. We have no way of knowing what proportion of accidents occurring in this setting may have had CO2 retention as a risk factor if not a direct contributor, and therefore what proportion may have been prevented if there had been closer attention to gas density planning. And remember, in the rec setting there are far fewer of the risk mitigation systems found in commercial / military diving (along the lines of the ones I listed above) in place.

The second relates to the apparent dissonance between my earlier reporting of the experimental data showing that more than 40% of divers breathing gas at greater than 6g/L developed dangerous CO2 retention, and your fundamentally correct observation that many apparently uneventful dives have been performed by recreational divers at greater gas densities than that. These observations are not as incompatible as you may think. In the real world a diver developing high CO2 levels will most likely get symptoms like shortness of breath or anxiety. Divers are specifically trained, even at the most basic levels by PADI, to respond to this by resting and breathing deeply. Just this natural response should prevent the situation from escalating in most settings allowing the diver to get away with breathing the denser gas. Divers will learn what works for them and what does not, and set their activity / exercise "thermostats" accordingly. In contrast, in the experimental situation the divers had to perform a set level of exercise for a set period without modification based on the way they felt. The point is that the recommended limit is not intended to define a binomial outcome (exceed = death, adhere to = safe) threshold. Indeed, it is not surprising at all that many dives can be made without incident despite the limit being exceeded because divers will introduce various forms of natural compensation (like limiting activity when necessary).

However, the fact is that the QinetiQ trials have identified what appears to be a point on the continuum of gas density where there is a risk threshold for CO2 retention during exercise. You can make of it what you like, but I think it would be very unwise for the community to ignore it on the basis that lots of dives exceeding that limit have been made in the past.

Absolutely not. It is relevant to healthy divers.

In the post below I have included some figures from the relevant original reports.

The first (ref 1) shows the proportion of rebreather test dives ending in failure due to an end-tidal CO2 >8.5 kPa (black) and other causes of failure (dark grey) stratified by respired gas density (on the horizontal axis). Figures in the bars refer to numbers of dives and the vertical axis depicts percentage of the total number of dives at each gas density (which obviously always adds up to 100). It is possible to infer the percentage of dives succeeding, or failing for the different reasons at each density from that scale. At respired gas densities >6 g·L-1 there is a sharp increase in the risk of dive failure, with most failures being caused by dangerous levels of CO2 retention.

Just to give an example of how the data were gathered / derived, the second (ref 2) shows a single dive in a setting where there was dive failure due to high CO2. You can see that when workload exceeded 80 watts (exercise periods and intensity shown by the labelled magenta bars) the end tidal CO2 (expired CO2 measured at the end of exhalation) rises, and crosses the threshold for failure.

The third is similar but shows a dive that didn't fail due to high CO2 even though there was a tendency to CO2 retention during exercise.

Simon M

1. ANTHONY TG, MITCHELL SJ. Respiratory physiology of rebreather diving. In: Pollock NW, Sellers SH, Godfrey JM (Editors). Rebreathers and Scientific Diving. Proceedings of NPS/NOAA/DAN/AAUS June 16-19, 2015 Workshop. Wrigley Marine Science Center, Catalina Island, CA, 66-79, 2016

2. ANTHONY TG. Diving re-breathing apparatus testing and standards UK/EU perspective. In Vann RD, Mitchell SJ, Denoble PJ, Anthony TG (eds). Technical Diving. Proceedings of the Divers Alert Network 2008 January 18-19 Conference. Durham NC, Divers Alert Network, 218-236, (ISBN 978 1 930536 53 1), 2009

Last edited:
... What you are citing is not a "quantitative body of evidence"...
I was helping a client that wanted a bank loan to build chambers and compressors. His business plan used data from insurance underwriters on commercial diving broken down by major offshore oilfields worldwide. It wasn't hard to get to seven digits considering how many decades they have been at it.

...Your thesis is a little like saying that speed limits are a waste of time because millions of drivers ignore them and travel much faster all the time without problems...

A closer analogy would be that 65 MPH (100 Kilometers/Hour) is a more reasonable speed limit on freeways compared to 45 MPH (72 Kilometers/Hour). Nobody is suggesting the autobahn. I'm not questioning your data or methodology; only a conclusion that recommends Trimix at 100'/30M. Both options would be safer, but are they reasonable?

My understanding is that air at 40m hits the recommended numbers. The adding helium below 30m is about END not specifically density.

Here's a spreadsheet I made to help figure out various blends and depths

Dropbox - Gas density calc.xlsx

My understanding is that air at 40m hits the recommended numbers. The adding helium below 30m is about END not specifically density.

Here's a spreadsheet I made to help figure out various blends and depths

Dropbox - Gas density calc.xlsx
40m on Air, I calculate 6 g/L Gas Density -not recommended.
  • Regular dry Air has a density of 1.2 g/L at NTP; therefore at 40m (5 ATA), its density is: 5 x 1.2 = 6 g/L
40m on 21/35 Trimix, I get 4.25 g/L which is a fairly good margin.

For Normal Temperature and Pressure (NTP) of 20 deg C and 1 atm, I'm using Gas Densities of:
O2: 1.331 g/L
He: 0.1664 g/L
N2: 1.165 g/L

Gases - Density
Programming an Old HP 33s RPN Calculator

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom