Breathing question>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
I know you should never hold your breath underwater, but could someone answer if this is also not good to do.

As I'm breathing right here in front on the computer screen (through my mouth for simulation), I am realizing that I inhale, and exhale immediately ... BUT, I seem to take a short pause till my next inhale (1-3 seconds). Would this be considered "holding your breath"? Instead should I try to exhale less but hold the exhale longer?

My question is most importantly for safety, but also for efficient air consumption.

Thanks in advance Dr. Deco and others.

When you hold your breath you close off your airway. This is bad when breathing compressed air scuba diving as ascent can cause the air in your lungs to expand and with your airway close the pressure build up can cause over-pressure injuries.

When you hold your breathing you stop your inhalation or exhalation while at the same time holding your airway open. The open airway will not allow overpressure to exist.

To simulate:
Sitting at your desk take a deep breath and *hold it.* While holding your breath push against your stomach with both hands. What happens?

Now take a deep breath but don't hold it... keep your lungs inflated and your airway open. Again push against your stomach with both hands. What happens?

Dear psinyc:

During the normal breathing cycle, the pause between inhaling and exhaling is not accompanied by a closing of the glottis. Thus, pressure could not build up during ascent. This is simply a normal part of our breathing rhythm.

Dr Deco
:doctor:

Thanks fellas for the advice. So that pause in the breathing cycle is normal both underwater and topside.

psinyc once bubbled...
So that pause in the breathing cycle is normal both underwater and topside.

Yes indeed, psinyc.

I think this subject is covered in most basic diving lectures but I feel it may benefit readers if I reinforce these basic physiological concepts. Please refer to the attachment.

At the end of a maximal inspiration an individual’s lungs contain a fixed amount of air. This is known as the total lung capacity (TLC) which is between about 5 and 7 litres in a normal healthy adult male. When the subject empties his lungs as forcefully as he can he expels his vital capacity (VC), which is the absolute maximum amount of air that can be moved in and out of the lungs between a maximum inspiration and expiration. The vital capacity is between about 4 or 5 litres. It is smaller than the total lung capacity because a small volume of air must remain in the lungs and airways as dead space. This dead space is known as the reserve volume (RV) and of course is the difference between total lung capacity and vital capacity. VC = TLC - RV.

At rest, because of the elasticity of the chest wall and diaphragm, the volume of gas held in the lungs is just under half of the total lung capacity. This normal resting volume is oddly known as the functional residual capacity (FRC). During normal breathing at rest the intercostal muscles actively raise the ribs (and the diaphragm contracts downwards) thus expanding the lungs against this elasticity by an amount necessary to ventilate the alveoli and reduce the pp CO2 by the added air. The amount thus inhaled is known as the tidal volume (TV). During normal quiet breathing the glottis is not involved and inspiration is active and expiration passive;- the immediate almost “reflex” consequence of relaxation of the muscles of inspiration. Thus during normal quite breathing at rest and during sleep - which is totally reflex - the respiratory pattern tends to be inspiration, expiration, pause, inspiration, expiration, pause and so on. (Listen to someone snoring!)

During any form of activity the amount of air needed to excrete the excess CO2 produced obviously increases proportionately. From the position of rest at the FRC a maximal expiration to empty the lungs as much as possible gives us the expiratory reserve volume ERV, while the inspiratory excursion - above that of the resting tidal volume - gives us the inspiratory reserve volume IRV. (See the attachment). It is not difficult to work out that IRV+ TV+ ERV = VC. During moderate exercise, of course, the lungs move somewhere between the resting tidal volume (TV) and the vital capacity (VC) and, in addition, as the respiratory rate increases the overall result is a considerable increase in ventilation.

At any lung volume apart from the functional residual capacity an effort has to be made to hold one's breath against both the elastic forces AND the respiratory drive. When the lungs are inflated the easiest way to do this is to close the glottis and the resulting increase of pressure within the lungs holds the lungs inflated against these elastic forces. Once the glottis relaxes the air is forcefully exhaled, often producing a grunting sound. This is what happens during childbirth and other forms of straining. The glottis is not usually involved when the subject holds his breath at volumes less than the functional residual capacity. The diaphragm and intercostal muscles are simply held at a fixed position in opposition to the elastic forces within them. No "grunting" is heard. In simple terms the glottis is only used to hold air in the inflated lungs at higher than ambient pressures

During scuba diving, the control of the lungs is under conscious control until the diver is comfortable and relaxed, this may be when the temptation to conserve air is often overwhelming in inexperienced divers anxious to conserve their air and make it last longer. In my experience the way to safely conserve air is to relax and not to try too hard to restrict respiration. I feel that many incidents of pulmonary barotrauma may result from inexperienced divers attempting to overcome the immediate urge to breath out at the end of breathing in, simply in order to conserve air, by a conscious closure of the glottis against the lungs natural elasticity.

It is obviously far, far safer, to breath normally and deeply. The surface air consumption (SAC) will soon drop to acceptable levels once the diver is comfortable in the water.

Thus from my perspective, if any form of breath holding is contemplated (and it should not be!) it ought only to be contemplated at the neutral position, that is at the end of a passive expiration at the functional residual capacity (FRC). The glottis naturally remains open at this lung volume since there are no elastic forces to overcome, the only “force” to overcome being the respiratory drive mediated by the levels of CO2 in the venous blood. The natural rhythm being inspiration, expiration, pause.

Remember the respiratory drive is normally an active inspiration to dilute the carbon dioxide in the alveoli (and the veins) with a gas mix which contains no CO2.

At the end of a normal expiration, as Mouth Breather describes, the venous pp CO2 gradually increases until there is an overwhelming desire to take another breath.

:doctor:

should it not really be 'never hold your breath WHILE ASCENDING?' if i am maintaining a constant depth or if i were to sit on the bottom for whatever reason :boom: i can hold my breath untill i am blue in the face without a problem. Not that there would be many situations where this is applicable since very often when you cant breath there is an airsupply problem and you are going for the surface NOT holding your breath or better still you have recieved your buddies primary :D

Often bubbles scare things, so it's not unusual to pause breathing while hunting. Generally on identifying the fish below you the process is to inhale, exhale to negative buoyancy, then finish the stalk on low volume lungs inhaling at the shot. With this method it's impossible to bust a lung, and the lungs are never hyper extended. I's amazing how well a partial breath of air will last, especially if you start at 3 or 4 ATA.

In effect it's a free dive with a "start point" of something lower than sea level. On Louisiana rigs this can be at 60 or 100 feet down with the bottom of the dive 50 to 100 feet lower than the start point. It IS important not to rise above your start point during the stalk though.

FT

sheck33 once bubbled...
should it not really be 'never hold your breath WHILE ASCENDING?' :D
I suspect you can work that one out for yourself! sheck33

But, if your habit (as a novice) is to hold your breath at any time it could be difficult to get out of bad habits.
Kind regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom