Breathing underwater jitters-I guess????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

procraft1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question, I have very few dives, have been certified two years. It is usually months between dives. Every since I started diving the first dive the first few breaths underwater kinda freak me out-not enough to stop the dive I just stay still and breath- after about three to four breaths it goes away and I feel fine. If I get to make more than one dive a day the next dive or dives go fine just jump in and go. Is this normal will it go away with practice or do I just need to accept this, know it is going to happen, and get on with it and breath thru it?

I'm going to say that you are not alone. I find that for the first several breaths after I haven't dove for a while, that I do the same thing. Once I get to depth, everything seems to stabilize, and I'm fine from there. Don't let it get to you, find your happy place, and enjoy your dives.

I would consider it normal. Think back to the first time you put on your equipment in class and took a breath under water. It felt un-natural to be able to breath underwater so there is some hesitation.

With only having a few dives logged over two years I think this may just be a case of being "rusty", or your body not remembering what it is like to breath off a scuba unit.

It would be my advice that if you've been out of the water for a few months, you should visit a LDS that can allow you to use their pool and get comfortable in the water before you head out on your trips. Think of it as a mini refresher.

The more you dive the easier it is for your body to get use to the change from air to water.

I agree that your just rusty and a pre dive be for your dive will help and the more you dive the better and the more relaxed yull be

Agree with what others have said. I remember when I first started to learn how to dive - at first it does not feel natural because your body is so used to breathing air out in the open rather than compressed air underwater. After a few breaths you said you feel ok so just go with it. Take it slow at first if need be. Nothing wrong with that. As you get more experienced you will get more comfortable and it will begin to feel more natural. Nothing to worry about though - have fun diving!

As the others have said it is normal. The more you can dive the easier this will get and will go most likely go away with experience. If you aren't able to dive more frequentlly, then getting in a pool at a LDS will definitely help.

I know when I first started diving, I would get nervous before every dive. Usually on the way to the dive site (about an hour driving), I would be nervous and fidgety. I didn't have the same breathing jitters, but I did have my own nervous habits....after diving more and more, and doing it consistently, I don't feel the same nervousness that I used to. Once you get more comfortable (and the best way to do that is to get out and dive consistently....without waiting months between dives if you can), you will most likely not have the jitters about breathing underwater.

I concur with Walter. If you find that you cannot dive more because of location, costs, or time, then try a pool. Just swim laps with a mask and snorkel. You still have to control your breathing and you still have to swim. I find that having people who breath rapidly or wildly on SCUBA snorkel for a bit really tends to calm them down. It relaxes you and gets your mind used to being underwater (if only a few inches) whilst breathing. It will help develop your calves and keep you thin as well.

Its (somewhat) natural; you would think after 2 years, this feeling would go away, but as others have posted, you are diving infrequently.

OTOH, its not abnormal to be a little aprehensive when you enter the water, and take those first few breaths. :D

If your fear is not having air/gas, do what I do - check 2 or 3 times before going in to make sure your tank valve is fully opened - a few years ago, diving off our boat, I did not double check and sure enough it was off - and that never happens to me :shakehead: - but that day it did :doh2:

Holding onto a tag line, fighting current, and trying to turn a tank valve (I swear you need arms like a monkey to reach the valve once the tank is on your back :rofl3:) - well, not an experience I want to repeat

Hey, you are diving - so its not serious Likely will go away in time Good Luck :D

Back
Top Bottom