British Dive Boat Sinks, 12 rescued.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Devon | Twelve rescued as dive boat sinks

I know these guys, and this boat, well. I am so glad that everyone got off safely!

Twelve people have been rescued from the sea off Salcombe in Devon after their 40ft (12m) dive boat sank.

The divers from London let off a flare when their boat, Aquanaut, started taking in water, sinking in about eight minutes off Bolt Head on Saturday. The divers were spotted by the crew of a passing yacht which took two on board while the rest got into a life raft. A lifeboat took them all into Salcombe.
The divers were with the Aquanauts Dive Centre, based in Plymouth.
o.gif
The boat started taking on water so fast it overwhelmed the bilge pumps according to Aquanauts.
Ten of the divers took to a life raft and the remaining crew boarded the yacht, Dutch Angel.
The 10 divers, from Dive Wimbledon, and two instructors, were checked over and were all uninjured.
Trip organiser, experienced diver Howard Payne told BBC News: "It was the most hairy situation I've ever been in.

"Two of us were trapped in the cabin briefly as we tried to throw out lifejackets and we had to cut the life raft free.

"But no-one panicked and we are all fine."

He praised the lifeboat crew from Salcombe and the crew of the Dutch Angel.
"They were superb, without them it could have been a lot worse. We are very lucky."

The divers returned on Sunday to retrieve the boat's bell for the skipper.
A spokesman from Aquanauts said: "We are just glad everyone is okay and safe.

"It's at times like this it's nice to know that all our emergency procedures and training paid off, as the systems we have in place worked perfectly.

"We would like to thank the yacht Dutch Angel, who came to assist us, and Salcombe lifeboat for their help."

Details of the incident have been passed to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch.

Good, all are safe, only material losses suffered. Like they said, the outcome was influenced by some luck but also by good practice of emergency procedures, certainly things they also apply in their diving.

I am curious to know what caused this event, was the weather a factor, mechanical problem, negligence??

Only consolation: they have a fresh wreck to dive and a good reserve of pub time stories.

I read online that it was a freak wave...overwhelmed the bilge pumps...and it went down quickly.

Such a shame really, it was an excellent dive boat and was run very professionally. I hope they get a replacement on the water soon.... Aquanauts is a great dive center.

I am wondering about this incident- what happens to their diving gear which probably went under with the boat ? Will it also be recovered while the divers are retrieving the boat's bell ?
Are the individual divers insured against such an incident as far as diving gear is concerned ?

Back
Top Bottom