British divers banned from wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a response. You could hear the noise all the way to the UK if say Florida enacted a ban on diving because it was determined diving was too hazardous an activity, because people keep dying in the Keys.

AzAtty hit it on the head - there are other reasons for banning diving - such as paving the way for the wreck to be removed for harbour improvements. If diving is banned, then there's no interest group left to protest the removal. The ban has been discussed extensively on DIS-UK - I for one will be signing the petition.

The terrorist comment is one of the dumbest things I've read on ScubaBoard, and that's counting posts by Krazy Karl from Kalifornia!

Nanny state again... as long as people know the risks and are prepared to accept them then that is up to them. Probably sensible though for dives on such wrecks to be limited to certain qualifications and above, any reputable dive operator will do that anyway.

Its interesting that some divers here appear to support the ban on safety grounds. Yet all wrecks collapse - so should all wreck diving be banned? Divers die in caves - should cave diving be banned? Dives drown - should ALL diving be banned?

I posted little or no comment of my own above. I hope you have read the links and followed them through and have formed an opinion, rather than supporting (or not) the petition on face value alone.

Adrian

"Nahhhhh terrorists don't need to use scuba to get into our country.

They just fly in from America.."

hahahaha....couldnt help but almost spit out my coffee

Dont people die diving in quarries and rivers too. Seems a silly premise to restrict all Brits just based on safety alone.

I'm glad someone laughed...it was mean't as a joke...Hope ya didn't get any on ya Wendigo!

No, no....I know, it's no laughing matter. Just with all the constant talk about security and what not, it's hard not to see the dark humor of it all when someone just comes out and says it that bluntly.

Sorry for the threadjack guys.

Scubaroo:
The terrorist comment is one of the dumbest things I've read on ScubaBoard, and that's counting posts by Krazy Karl from Kalifornia!

I was refering to this knucklehead post from Scubapoo from downundermy... I too was laughing when I wrote it...oops...he's an INSTRUCTOR...gotta hide!

Back
Top Bottom