Brits swim 8 miles towing non-swimmer - Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Also recently heard about a dive group swimming 5 hours off of Tulum Mexico after I posted on FB about the need for boaters to carry PLBs clipped to their life vests - like I do when just riding.

I have heard of non-swimmers being allowed to dive. Amazing. Everyone should learn to swim, no matter how late in life.

Brit divers circled by sharks for 8-mile swim after losing boat in Mozambique
Three British divers swam for eight miles surrounded by killer sharks after they lost their boat and became stranded in the middle of the sea.

Ian Peach, 49, and pals Martin Hull, 62, and Andy Campling, 52, were among a group of six scuba divers who found themselves abandoned in the shark-infested water in Mozambique.

The petrified trio spent three hours paddling eight miles back to shore while being circled by deadly Bull Sharks.

Their challenge was made more difficult because their group also had to tow a female diver from Bristol called Rachel who could not swim well.

Bull Sharks are up to eight-foot long, weigh as much as 290lb and are believed to have been responsible for the series of attacks in America in 1916 which inspired the film Jaws.

Dad-of-one Ian, a solicitor from Portsmouth, Hants, said: "It is a diver's worst nightmare when you are way offshore.

"You have a buoy at the surface attached to a line so if the current moves you anywhere under water the boat follows you.

"The RIB captain lost us. He took his eye off the ball, literally. The sea conditions changed and he has gone one way and we went another.

"It was only when we came up to the surface we realised.

"The area we were diving in is frequented by Tiger sharks and potentially Great Whites.

"When we came up the ones that were under us were Bull Sharks, who are responsible for more attacks on human than Great Whites.

"They were circling us and checking us out. We were totally defenceless.

Lucky divers...particularly the woman!
Yep, but will any of them carry PLBs on dives now? Will that woman even bother to learn to swim? Well, we have this forum and these discussions in part to inspire ourselves to dive safer. I guess we don't have to know whom we actually help.

Yep, but will any of them carry PLBs on dives now? Will that woman even bother to learn to swim? Well, we have this forum and these discussions in part to inspire ourselves to dive safer. I guess we don't have to know whom we actually help.
No kidding! I for sure would get my arse to the pool and invest in the PLB. I don't know anyone who would drag me for 8 miles. LOL

Seriously? Yes it happened. But the reporting...?

"Killer".

"Deadly".

"Shark infested".

Sensationalist reporting.

And that picture was not taken in Mozambique. I've been there many times. Dived there many times. Never worried about the "Killer, Deadly, Shark Infested" waters. And I've never seen anyone there in a 7mm wetsuit with a hood. Water temps are WARM.

Bloody boolshirt reporting. Mirror is such a rubbish publication.

Only thing they didn't write was that they had empty oxygen tanks.

Seriously? Yes it happened. But the reporting...?

"Killer".

"Deadly".

"Shark infested".

Sensationalist reporting.

And that picture was not taken in Mozambique. I've been there many times. Dived there many times. Never worried about the "Killer, Deadly, Shark Infested" waters. And I've never seen anyone there in a 7mm wetsuit with a hood. Water temps are WARM.

Bloody boolshirt reporting. Mirror is such a rubbish publication.

Only thing they didn't write was that they had empty oxygen tanks.
Hahahaha!!! Yeah, I chuckled at the writing style as well.

Is this an option? Can you get PLB's that handle the pressure or do people put them in a protective case or something?
Yep. I carry an ACR2881 in my car anytime I leave the house, in my backpack on farms and on hikes, and inside a dive canister on every dive. When my time comes, fine - but I don't want to be lying or floating for days while people search for me.

Is this an option? Can you get PLB's that handle the pressure or do people put them in a protective case or something?
Nautilus lifeline for instance is safe to 400feet.

Edit: However, it seems to not fall under some definition of PLB...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom