Broad question: Going to Singapore for work, want to take a week diving - WHERE?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Komodo is hands down the best diving I've done anywhere in the world.

I haven't done Sipadan yet, mostly because the permits sound like a hassle for a short trip (1 day at Sipadan for every 3-4 days at the resort). Nor have I been to Raja Ampat (2015!) or PNG but I have been to a fair few places with pretty good diving - Florida Keys, Bahamas, Egyptian Red Sea (north & south), Sudan, Similan Islands, Bali, Bunaken, Lembeh, Malapascua, the Maldives (N & S Ari & Male atolls), Great Barrier Reef, Ningaloo, and Bora Bora. Komodo beats them all. I can't recommend it highly enough.

+1 for N. Sulawesi with the direct flights from Singapore. Cant see how Bora Bora would be considered great diving - IMO worst place to dive in FP. Sipidan is good but permits are a hassle, Perhentians and Palau Weh could be options or if you are looking for something very different Sumatras west coast off Padang has a lovely private island called Cubadak. If you do decide to go to Komodo see if you can include Flores and Alor (Alor currents and conditions can be tricky check with ops re the time of year you are looking at). PNG is amazing diving (way better than komodo IMO) but you will spend a good chunk of your week in transit between moresby and walinda/kavieng/milne bay and would need to do LOB so I would leave that for when you have more time. I dived Sabang PG Philippines a couple of weeks ago and found it nice and healthy with lots of macro and a short cheap hop from Singapore.

@Wingy - correct re Bora Bora not being "great" - but I said "pretty good diving" :) By the time I got to French Polynesia, Bora Bora was all I could afford as as a 19 year old backpacker who'd blown his budget diving in Thailand and Australia - like an idiot I left Rangiroa, Fakarava and the Humpbacks of Rurutu for "next time". Clearly I thought I was gonna pass through French Polynesia all the time...

Hear great things about PNG but not really do-able in less than 9/10 days I don't think, even from Singapore? I suspect Raja Ampat, PNG and a few others probably put even Komodo to shame. But I stand by my opinion that Komodo is the best trade off between cost, ease to get to, and diving quality if you're in Singapore. Lembeh is fabulous but personally I think it should accompany somewhere else (somewhere better than Bunaken) particularly for the first time visitor to SE Asia.

Theres always a next time James :) PNG for a less than two weeks dive time would be a waste. You need at least a night in Moresby to even get to most of the dive ops and LOB. Not sure how long ago you dived bora bora but its a desolute rubble of dead coral now..still lots of lemon sharks and a few resident eagle rays and a manta most dives but sadly not worth much more than for getting wet nowdays. I like N. Sulawesi for the ease of combining Lembeh, Bunaken and Bangka...Bangka island is worth at least three days diving. Komodo's certainly amazing.

Haven't done Bangka yet, it's on the ever-growing list...

I was in Bora Bora in 2000 and remember it chiefly for the Manta dive. I also dived Moorea which in my recollection was better. With hindsight neither was amazing, especially not compared to SE Asia.

Would really suggest doing Bangka ASAP before the chinese mining situation kicks in...lovely site worth doing - sauhong pinacles would be up there on my top ten fav sites. I found moorea diving pretty boring as well after Rangiroa.

Hey guys
Looks like its going to be either Komodo or Raja Ampat. Any in-depth opinions or experiences? Thanks for all the replies so far, particularly James - Cheers for PM :)

Cav

No probs.

I think May is right at the end - if not after - the season for Raja Ampat, so most/all of the boats will already be in Komodo by then. This may well make your decision for you. Not sure about other resorts in RA but I know Misool Eco Resort closes around that time for the Summer monsoon.

You could check on timing/availability of the "exploratory"/"crossing" trips between RA and Komodo - ie where they physically move the liveaboard from A to B through the remote and supposedly spectacular Banda Sea, via Ambon, Alor and Maumere. I hear great things about the diving but I think those trips are longer/more expensive...

---------- Post added January 29th, 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

Would really suggest doing Bangka ASAP before the chinese mining situation kicks in...lovely site worth doing - sauhong pinacles would be up there on my top ten fav sites. I found moorea diving pretty boring as well after Rangiroa.

Hmmm...wasn't aware of the mining issue, thanks.

Good to know that if the Chinese shark finners don't destroy the underwater eco system the Chinese mining companies will. Sigh...

Agreed with Centrals.. for a week, take the direct flight from Singapore to Manado, then boat to Bunaken. We stayed at the Village Bunaken - which would beyond fit your price (luxuriously at that here); and dive experience. We only ran into one other group of divers once! Heard great things about Komodo though, but busier. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom