Broken fin strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have somebody already broken the cliping thingy on Aqualung fins? I'm talking about the "quickrelease" of the strap just behind the foot.

Well, the thingy being made of plastic, I suppose it was ment to break.

Is it nice to know that there are not many thing some duct tape and brass wire can't repair.

Attachments

• IMAG0030.JPG
    IMAG0030.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 155
engineered obsolescence...

its how they make sure you always need more parts

Have somebody already broken the cliping thingy on Aqualung fins? I'm talking about the "quickrelease" of the strap just behind the foot.

Well, the thingy being made of plastic, I suppose it was ment to break.

Is it nice to know that there are not many thing some duct tape and brass wire can't repair.

Hey Xaryo:

I have a pair of Blades 2 that I used to wear with those straps. After breaking one of the straps buckles from it being clogged with sand and gravel, I switched to spring straps which I made myself. I can post pictures if you're interested and it is simple to do.

OR, if you'd rather just replace it with an OEM strap, I will sell you one for cheap but you obviously know the weakness of this kind of buckle and strap assembly. Just let me know.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Spring straps are definately the way to go.

Springs are much more robust and provide a more snug fit - especially when your booties/drysuit gets compressed at depth. The other benefit of springs is that they are less likely to get entangled.

I will go for spring straps eventually, but I did the repair because I didn't have a spare strap and because when I came back home, it was to late, the LDS was closed and I was diving the next morning.

I just love doing Duct tape engineering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom