broken side handle straps on kayak ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm very happy with my prowler kayak but after only a couple weeks my side
handle straps have torn away from their mounts. I do lift the kayak from the
one side at times to lift over something and the entire weight of kayak would be
on this one strap. I would have thought the one strap would have been ok with
that but apparantly not. I hate to re-rivet another similar handle and have it tear again.
I can see with these kayaks where using bolts is only possible in an area you can
reach the inside from a hatch. It has a comfort grip style handle but more important
to me is a new handle that will last. Has anyone ever replaced these handles with something
other than the original. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up drilling out the mount holes a little and reinstalled new handles (heavier rope) with expanding wing bolts. Worked great.

Thanks for the comments. I may go with the expandable wing bolts and some type
of different handle ? I have this years model and it kind of looks like the strap
had a notch cut out to allow for the rivets, leaving much less strength than the
original width of the strap (this is exactly where it broke). The awl idea sounds
better than a puched hole but does sound like a chore. I'll check the link for some
possible handle options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom