Broken Strap Lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The strap lock on the right side of my Mares Baja LX (mask)broke yesterday. Yesterday I made due by using double strap braces on the right side.

Is is safe for me to continue to use this mask? The Baja is an older model mask and the LDS's do not carry them anymore. If I have a choice I do not want to get rid of this mask. This mask fits perfectly. I've never had to clear this mask...from what I hear, this is a rare thing. This mask fits so well that I am even afarid to replace it with another Baja LX.

Please give me your thoughts.

Can you just put a new strap on the mask? I replaced the strap on my mask with one that has the neoprene thingy on it.

-kate

Thanks for the reply scubakat.

But, the actual strap on the mask is fine. Its the strap lock (the lever thingy on the side of the mask that holds strap in place) that broke.

What do you think?

FYI, I too use the strap with neoprene thingy on the back...best thing since sliced bread.

If I understand you correctly, the mask has a place where a strap can be routed through but the locking mech is broken. If that is the case, the type of stap I use would work well. It has a nylon/rubber pad on the back that forms to the back of your head (it streches and allows the mask to be put on) and nylon straps on each side. I have replaced all my mask straps with these, I don't like to use the standard rubber ones. I have found 2 styles, one has velcro adjustments and the other uses plastic clasps. I don't care much for the ones that use velcro as the velcro gets weak after a while and does not have as much adjustment range as I like. The other style which has nylon staps and plastic clasps on each side does a better job and gives me a wider adjustment range. Either of these should work for you.

Herman,

I found the straps that you were referring to online. Thanks.

I had bought my mask at DiveINN.com (the one in Spain). I contacted them about the broken strap lock, and asked if this sort of thing was covered by their warranty.

DiveInn had sent me a new mask two days later, on their dime. They did not ask for my old mask back either. Unfortunately, as I had feared, the new mask (even though it was the same make and model) did not fit as well as my old mask. BUT, I have discovered that the strap lock mechanism on the Mares Baja LX masks can be removed and re-attached very easily. In short, I was able to take just the strap lock mechanism from the new mask and put them onto my old (leak proof) mask.

I think I'll still get the Nylon/Neoprene strap that herman mentioned, and put them on the new mask instead (I'll have another mask to add to my "Save a Dive" kit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom