browning hideaway fiasco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just go to God's Pocket?

Bit late for that. Horses, open barn doors, etc.

Assuming that the site can be found again now I would get hold of Bill Coltart at Pacific Pro Dive in Courtenay or Liz Tribe from Nanaimo and see if one of them could put together a tech team within the next 3 or 4 weeks to try and retrieve the gear. Most of the stuff will still be useable. Pay for their expenses and it would be cheaper than having to buy all new stuff, especially if the group all chips in.

So did the whole skiff go down with gear or was stuff pitched overboard?

I pinged Liz -- She's going to investigate the depths of Hardy Bay. And then there is the issue of pinpointing where the gear went down.

Hi divegoose, What other mishaps are you referring too? The dive community should be informed of past incidents. If there is precedence, it would certainly bolster Jennifer's case of proving negligence as well.
The other BIG bonus for God's Pocket, is they have an elevator on their boat. Absolute heaven!

Sounds like a no brainer - gear goes into skiff which is under care and control of John (towed behind dive boat), skiff capsizes or sinks, gear is lost. John is responsible and there should be no question about replacing the gear. What are we missing, why is there even an issue here.

flooded skiff.jpg

here is a picture of the skiff after the incident. i am concerned with the big gaping hole in the front of the boat. it appears that there was
a piece of plywood covering the hole. i am not sure if the plywood came off before the sinking or was dislodged as a result of the sinking.
hard to prove. anyhow it certainly does look pretty sketchy.

Sounds like a no brainer - gear goes into skiff which is under care and control of John (towed behind dive boat), skiff capsizes or sinks, gear is lost. John is responsible and there should be no question about replacing the gear. What are we missing, why is there even an issue here.

The issue is that it looks like John is not insured for this and without insurance money in play no lawyer will touch this as I doubt John has enough extra cash to cover everybody's lunch, never mind their gear.

The best option is to look at getting the stuff back before it goes to crap in a few months.

The issue is that it looks like John is not insured for this and without insurance money in play no lawyer will touch this as I doubt John has enough extra cash to cover everybody's lunch, never mind their gear.

That John has no $ is an assumption I would not make. It may be true, but it is worth following up.

Is John not making any effort at all to make this right? i.e. help to try to recover the gear, any compensation at all .... or has he just abandoned you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom