Brownstone Exploration & Discovery Park - CT - July 16, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds cool....anyone wanting to buddy up or carpool, I should be avail for Saturday. I've only got a few dives in so far....still waiting to get on the schedule for the advanced course.... Not sure how much gear I can fit in my car though. Will be departing from Chepachet, RI.

My dive buddy in Mass in MIA.....

Frank,
Non diver and her kayak welcome at these experience dives? She had a blast hauling in trash and a few lazy divers last week. Fee?

ctmax:
Frank,
Non diver and her kayak welcome at these experience dives? She had a blast hauling in trash and a few lazy divers last week. Fee?
Guest and non divers no donation. Kayak good

OK, which day would be easier to find a buddy and an orientation? I'll be there!

One other dumb question, water temp?

I've never been in a quarry, ... only the ocean - warm and cold - Atlantic and Pacific...so far...

Conditions
In the shallows expect balmy temps in the mid 70s, lots of plant growth and fish. First thermocline at 11'. Below this it's in the mid 50s down to 30 feet, where it begins to get much colder and darker ~40deg. If you have a light, don't hesitate to bring it. Dive flags are not needed as the only boats in the area are operated by diver-knowledgable "captains" in the US Portland Volunteer Navy who will be helping with general surface support. Do bring full tanks, all your gear, and your c-card.

So, are kayakers (non-diver support) allowed? I have a buddy in East Hampton who's interested in possibly kayaking there on Sunday.

I'de always use a light in the quarry. In case of buddy seperation etc. There are places vis goes to 0 if someone has been there before you. I used a small light last week only to realize how insignificant it was to my buddies HID which came in handy when we descended the wall.

On the wall of the side that seperates the 2 quarries (Silver Street), at 65 -70 ft we discovered a small brick wall. Could this brick wall have been used to close up the rumored tunnel between the 2 quarries? Can we bring sledge hammers to find out ? Actually a pneumatic jack that works off a scubatank may work. :wink: Just kidding.

Actually it was as black as a cows stomach and cold as ice down there with one heck of a debris field and trees in that area. Please people dive safely.

On the serious side:

When people go to dive this weekend check out the pictures and articles posted about the history of the quarry. You'de be amazed at the history there and the impact this quarry has had on The World's Building Trades. If you are in town take a look at some of the buildings and churches. Notice any similarity between them and the walls of the quarry. What I like about diving the quarry is that its also an historic dive if you can see it that way from my perspective.

The Middletown library (just over the bridge)also has articles about the quarry but you need permission to get to them.

Chris

Middletown, CT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom