BSA Central FLorida Council SCUBA Venture Crew 7...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been a scoutmaster for a few years now and I appreciate the need to have parents/guardians involved. With the two adult policy and the need to have organizers, I can always use the parents help. So, how do I get there attention.

1. Meet the cars as they pull up to drop of their kids with Baby Sitters of America. Then talk to the adults. My favorite line kinda goes as follows: Good evening Mr. NetDoc, can we talk for a minute about helping out. blah blah blah, By the way How old is little NetDoc? 16? Well, Mr. NetDoc, do you reliaze that little NetDoc is about to leave the nest? Have you had the opportunity to spend enough time with little NetDoc? If you help me out, I can get you more time before little NetDoc leaves home.

2. I hold a parents meeting, I ask the parents to put their wallets or purses on the table, leave, and don't come back until the usual pick up time. You will get a lot of weird looks, and I've never had a parent leave their wallet/purse. When they don't leave, I point out that they might want to look at their priorities. They are willing to leave their first born with me, but they won't leave their wallet or purse. I'm trustworthy, but I'd like them to stay, help out, and find out why I'm trustworthy.

3. As a scoutmaster, I only put in 1 hour a week. And if you believe that then I should tell you that I also get paid to do this.

Great Initiative Net Doc, I wish I lived in Florida.

Pete,

Thanks for all your volunteer work with the Boy Scouts of America. I'm an Eagle Scout and my father became a volunteer the day I joined the BSA, and he is still to this day a volunteer 15+ years after I left the Boy Scouts. I think forming a diving venture group is great. I'm thinking that I should get back into scouting, and will start to look in our local council to see if there is a Scuba Venture group.

Thanks,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom