BSAC Accident Logs 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear ya hoppy- i'd have no problem donating my primary reg and breathing from my own octo if needed...:D

Hoppy:
Makes you wonder why they don't donate the primary then? And while you're at it why not use a longer hose ? Just a thought :wink:
I think I've heard that idea before......:eyebrow: Now I wonder where that was? :D

n2thebluec:
The thing that struck me most was the fact that in many cases, victims were offered the octupus by their buddies but they refused to take it. I can't understand the mind set that would preclude someone from taking the octupus.

I've seen this happen fairly regularly. I can't say I have all the answers as to why someone would do that but from what I've seen some common elements are:

- Ego (wants to work it out him/her -self)
- Failure to recognise the problem/solution
- The bugger-off-can't-you-see-i-have-a-problem-here factor
- Equipment rejection due to panic

I'm sure there are others but these ones I see most often.

The first and third ones on the list are easy to deal with. Just stay close and if the diver in question really runs out of air they'll take your alternate. The second and fourth on the list are dangerous because solution-oriented thinking is already turned off.

The problem is knowing which one it is. You need to be observant. If someone makes eye contact and then gives you stop/ok and waves off your alternate then they're probably dealing with it. If someone looks through you or has "panic eyes" or doesn't respond adequately to your signs then they're probably in trouble.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom