bubbles are bad, m'kay!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
so almity1 wanted to test out his new prescription mask yesterday so we toddled down to Clifton Gardens for a muck dive, him on his unit obviously

so we descend and immediatey i see bubbles... a very small thin stream of bubbles but bubbles! :11:

so while he is fooling around with his camera and mask i swoop on top of him, checking out his gear, making sure the bubbles arent coming out of anywhere else before i confirm..... yep, they are coming from his unit

so, i tell almity1 to surface so we can have a chat (he tells me later that he thought i was suffering from pms and was going to have a bitch at him-like i would do that fellas!) and he investigates, he calls the dive, cause discovered and unit is fine.

now... at the time of finding the bubbles, i was thinking that a small thin line of bubbles wasnt too bad as it meant that the pressure was keeping water out of the unit.

is this stupid thinking?? (even if i was right i would not have continued the dive!)

It was a good idea for me...

I will post later I am flat out at the moment.

Simply, watch out for your O Rings.

sounds like you made the right call. I don't think you can assume that pressure is keeping water from going in if you see bubbles coming out, a pinched O-ring could conceivably let water in and air out at the same time if bad enough or let air out while positive and water in if the loop goes negative while descending further. the loop is under a relatively small amount of pressure, much closer to the positive-neutral-negative threshold than say one of the low or high pressure hoses. Floods don't seem to happen much but the consequences for the electronics, the scrubber and ultimately the diver can be disastrous, best to return to the surface right at the beginning, communicate verbally, and let the diver decide what they want to do while a remedy may still be an easy fix rather than a ruined dive. The nice thing about the meg, standard or Copis, is that every major opening has two O-rings to help prevent a serious flood.

g

so almity1 wanted to test out his new prescription mask yesterday so we toddled down to Clifton Gardens for a muck dive, him on his unit obviously

so we descend and immediatey i see bubbles... a very small thin stream of bubbles but bubbles! :11:

so while he is fooling around with his camera and mask i swoop on top of him, checking out his gear, making sure the bubbles arent coming out of anywhere else before i confirm..... yep, they are coming from his unit

so, i tell almity1 to surface so we can have a chat (he tells me later that he thought i was suffering from pms and was going to have a bitch at him-like i would do that fellas!) and he investigates, he calls the dive, cause discovered and unit is fine.

now... at the time of finding the bubbles, i was thinking that a small thin line of bubbles wasnt too bad as it meant that the pressure was keeping water out of the unit.

is this stupid thinking?? (even if i was right i would not have continued the dive!)

A rebreather is surprisingly tollerant against small leaks. A fine stream of bubbles is most of the time not a serious problem. Like you said, the pressure will keep the water out. It will take a long time before you flood a rebreather via such a hole.

You could take a small mirror and wetnotes with you. The rebreather dive can use the mirror to inspect the hole/stream and make the decission himself.

I think after a serious incident like that, that almity should probably go back to OC
I'll PM you my address and you can just send the meg down to Tasmania :D

........ The nice thing about the meg, standard or Copis, is that every major opening has two O-rings to help prevent a serious flood.

something i appreciated in the carpark as he was going thru the unit - a nice feature i thought... especially as almity1 still hasnt signed that will ive been nagging him aboot

I think after a serious incident like that, that almity should probably go back to OC

heheheheheheh - hopefully next time we are down in Tassie he will bring the unit

Hey Mate, hehehehe

No matter what it is, RB, Camera or a Torch, Take care of the O-Rings, it is quite easy to pinch one.

This could have happened to any unit, something to ponder when you are considering yours or the one your are going to buy.

What does matter, is what you do about it.

There has been a lot of talk on HUD's and alarm system, but at the end of the day, a complement to this is a good and knowledgeable buddy. And my wife has been involved through the whole process to the point she could probably fit into any unit.

So another moral to this story can be, choose your buddies well and educate them well and always be respectful.

Almity1,

I think it was your avatar that gave you the bad karma on that leak. See the bubbles? :D

Almity1,

I think it was your avatar that gave you the bad karma on that leak. See the bubbles? :D

that could be him farting/burping..... which is one of the things i was wondering on sunday :lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom